Cheap overflow?

davidcanupp

I am trying to get an idea of how I want to build my refugium, for my 55 gallon tank. It is going to be made out of a ten gallon, and that is about all I know at this point. Can anyone offer some CHEAP suggestions on how to design one? I understand that I may need an overflow-is there a way around this, or a cheap way to build one myself? Please tell me what to do! Thank you very much. David

daluminum

I have a 55 with 20 gal sump.
originally I tried a syphon to the sump and a powerhead and spray bar return... THEN about a month later I got tired of adjusted the return ball valve every 20 minutes and bought a used overflow box for $50 from LFS. BEST fish tank investment I ever made. I plugged the overflow hole of my power head and The tank cycles as much water into the sump as possible.. I cycle all the water in the tank about 5 times an hour. SO thats plenty for me.. I have a $125 downdraft skimmer. and a trash scan stuffed with filter floss for a mechanical filter. I also took my bio wheels and chunked them into the sump for the fun of it. Other than that the only thing I did differently was put 40lbs of argonite and a lamp so I could grow some macro algae in the bottom.. I helps with algae growth alot.. I would suggest it.
I know others seperate refugiums and sumps.. but I just pushed my argonite to one side of the sump.

davidcanupp

Thanks for the reply--that's very informative ...I guess that I will end up buying an overflow. Can you tell me the specifics of matching an overflow to a return pump (I mean, the gph, best brand for the money, etc.)? I have never really attempted any plumbing-type stuff so I need some specifics about how to design a simple and cheap refugium. For instance, what kind of piping (PVC) and valves, how strong a pump, etc.? Thanks a million!! -David

daluminum

Well I havent put algae in my refugium yet. So I dont know if I will have to high a water flow or not. But from what I have heard you want low water flow in a refugium. I think this is to allow longer contact time and to keep the algae from breaking. However a 20 gallon sump on a 55 gallon tank. the water wont rush through the sump. especially if you get an overflow box. then you can fill the sump about 3/4 full with no threat of overflow. As far as size.. well if you have a 55~gal just get the biggest one that you want to pay for. I believe mine is rated a 250gph. Even a small overflow will keep up with a large powerhead/magdrive. IF it wont keep up its very simple to add an additional syphon hose onto the overflow.
If you would like I can send you lots of pics when I on monday from my snowboarding trip. and get batteries for my digital.. send me an email at db7863@yahoo.com if you would like some visual ideas.

q

To match the flow you can buy a gate valve from a hardwater store and restrict the flow to throttle back the pump output.