Cheap places for live rock/live sand in the Bay Area?

bemaniac

Hi, I was wondering how I could acquire my LR and/or LS as cheaply as possible. The closest LFS to me sells LR for a whopping $6 per pound.... but I think that's a bit over my budget.
Any ideas?

kquang

6 dollars is actually pretty cheap since the stores around me sell it for close to 10. I actually bought mine off someone who was taking down their tank. I got about 50-60 lb for 100 dollars. I found them through craigslist.

namas05

Check online sites for good deals. There are some out there where you can get it for about 3.75 lb.
Also keep a close eye on the saltwater forums there is always someone selling off there stock normally for about 2.00 lb

bemaniac

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go through craigslist for this stuff. I saw one online for 60 lbs for $160, all cured and ready to go. I should probably jump on this one

bemaniac

Originally Posted by NigerBang
The thing to remember is the cheapest is not always the best
Right, but I'd only buy from someone who used the live rock in an established tank for a long period of time.

gen1dustin

Originally Posted by bemaniac
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go through craigslist for this stuff. I saw one online for 60 lbs for $160, all cured and ready to go. I should probably jump on this one
You'll have to re-cure it regardless unless if your getting it local.