check list please

dperna

Through many posts on the SWF forums, and other sources such as Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael I have come up with a stock list for my 58 gallon Oceanic Tank (36" long, 18" deep and 18" tall)
Right now I have a maroon clownfish but I would like to eventually get:
Lemonpeel Dwarf Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)
Blackback Butterfly fish (Chaetodon melannotus)
plus maybe 2 or 3 schooling fish if i can, i really wanted Filamented Flasher Wrasse but someone told me that i might not have enough room.
The tank will be a fish only with live rock and that would be the final list with the adition of the 20-55 clean up package from SWF which contains:
Scarlet Hermit Crab:10
Blueleg Hermit Crab:10
Nasssarius Snail:10
Brittle Starfish:2
Coral Banded Shrimp:1
Emerald Crab:3
Turbo/Astrea Snail:20
Cleaner Clam:2
if something doesnt work please make suggestions as what to replace it with, and please give some input on those wrasse

sly

I dont think you will be able to keep both starfish in there but some people have had success with them. IMO, you should wait until the tank is mature before adding a star. You also need some empty shells for your hermits or else they will kick the snails out of theirs.

dperna

yep, thanks! it basically resulted in me taking everything out of my overflow box, including the bulk head and removing all the sand that was on the floor from the previous owner and moving and stuff because there was some in between it and i just clean it all out and re applied the bulk head, as good as new

garnet13aj

The fish sound good to me. I've been doing a lot of research on fisha additions for that size tank because I am stocking a 55 right now. I also want a blackback butterflyfish.

dperna

yay! im very glad to hear that response
. Good luck to you too then! cant wait to get this baby goin!

dperna

Can anyone tell me if this is too many inverts and what are a little group of fish i can add to this list if thats possible

sign guy

list looks good exept the star fish. but come to think of it, they are not sand sifting so Id check with ophiura

dperna

with all of those inverts do you have to feed them? i mean besides the algea, detritus, or whatever it is that they may feed on i have heard that you should put extra fish food in your tank so they get some otherwise they will eat eachother. for example i feed my maroon frozen mysis shrip, should i make sure that some of it doesnt get eaten by him and goes to the bottom so the nassarius snails, or the hermit crabs dont starve/eat eachother? :notsure: and if i shouldnt do that, is there food i should get specifically for them?

dperna

i was considering getting around 3 chromis but after hearing different sides of how difficult they were to keep, and the constant feeding they need i am trying to steer away from them. does anyone think that i would be able to add either 2 or 3 Filamented Flasher Wrasse to this list?

sly

As for the snail question... I would like to know what to feed them too. From what I've heard, they will eventually form a balance in your tank. Meaning that some of them will die if there is too little food for them. Then the ones that are left will eat the algae as fast as it grows. I don't like the idea of them dieing but that is what I've heard.
I personally like chromis. They are very peaceful, hardy and easy to take care of. They should only be kept in schools as they can die if kept alone. I fed mine once per day and they did fine. However I have not had any in a few years. I plan on getting about 6 green chromis as soon as they show up at the LFS.

dperna

if its true that they reallya re easier to take care of then some of the dramatic stories i've heard, will i have enough room in my tank for lets say 3 of these, with the original list i have a the top of the page. also the Green Chromis (Chromis viridis) looks like its knida tinted yellow. is it really green or is it yellow like the picture makes me believe because im trying to steer away from yellow right now because both the angel and butterfly i want are yellow! need to have a little bit of a change lol..

dperna

Originally Posted by DPerna
with all of those inverts do you have to feed them? i mean besides the algea, detritus, or whatever it is that they may feed on i have heard that you should put extra fish food in your tank so they get some otherwise they will eat eachother. for example i feed my maroon frozen mysis shrip, should i make sure that some of it doesnt get eaten by him and goes to the bottom so the nassarius snails, or the hermit crabs dont starve/eat eachother? :notsure: and if i shouldnt do that, is there food i should get specifically for them?

Originally Posted by DPerna

if its true that they reallya re easier to take care of then some of the dramatic stories i've heard, will i have enough room in my tank for lets say 3 of these, with the original list i have a the top of the page. also the Green Chromis (Chromis viridis) looks like its knida tinted yellow. is it really green or is it yellow like the picture makes me believe because im trying to steer away from yellow right now because both the angel and butterfly i want are yellow! need to have a little bit of a change lol..
:thinking:

dperna

with 217 veiws there arent people who know those questions? i know there have been 19 replys on this which i appreciate very much, but 12 of them have been from me. some help on the questions posted above and the stock list at the top of the page would be nice. thank you