Check your electrical stuff !

cruez

Well, I've lost my sw setup, and set part of my house on fire....looking at close to $30000 in damage so far. We were only gone 35 minutes and came back to a blaze in the living room.
Not sure exactly what happened except that it started below with the refugium...
I haven't posted much.. read alot of the threads though.. I plan on getting another one.. bigger this time... I just feel sorry for all the animals that were lost...
Just a little reminder to be sure all the electrical stuff you have is in good shape.
Ryan

meowzer

YEAH>>>SO sorry to hear of your losses...not only the fish, the damage to your home too.....Hope everything turns out alright

cranberry

We had a fire after an earthquake due to shifting of the tanks. I use to be able to close my door, have the AC on, ear plugs in place in the absolute pitch black. I can't do that anymore since that night. I don't think I've ever slept "well" since. It scared me for a long time. All I could think was "what if the kids had of been home alone".
I'm glad you all were safe but it sucks about the tanks.
Everyone check the back of your tank around the electrical compenents at least every week. Look for salt creep in unsafe places. I also run my hands alone the wires to make sure it's not wet where it shouldn't be.

roadie996

I placed my electrical strips upside down on the underside of my storage cabinate for my tank supplies. If water hits that, I'll be amazed! Sorry for your losses, I hope everything gets back to normal for you rather quickly and the insurance company doesn't drag things out. A friend of mine has a similar experience, except he was home when the fire started. The insurance company took over a year to rebuild the house because they didn't want to pay for it all.