checking for stray voltage

C

curve

No you have to ground the ground. I always stick the ground into the ground on the electrical out let and put the red into the water.

capttommy

The best way that I found to test voltage in an aquarium is to put the multi meter on 200 volts. Put one of the leads in the round grounding hole on a plug. Be careful there is voltage in the plug. The other lead should be in the water. You will need to be sure the probe is firmly touching the metal in the grounding hole of the plug. Last week I had a pump start putting voltage in the tank and this technique showed 23 volts. All fixed and grounded now.

bgbdwlf2500

i just changed tanks and havent hooked the probes i have up and it showed 43v so getting everything finalized and in the right spots right now.
i had everything temporarily set up while the tank cycled

gmann1139

Originally Posted by capttommy
http:///forum/post/2612734
The best way that I found to test voltage in an aquarium is to put the multi meter on 200 volts. Put one of the leads in the round grounding hole on a plug. Be careful there is voltage in the plug. The other lead should be in the water. You will need to be sure the probe is firmly touching the metal in the grounding hole of the plug. Last week I had a pump start putting voltage in the tank and this technique showed 23 volts. All fixed and grounded now.
I may get overruled by SCSI or someone, but I usually prefer to start on the lowest voltage reading and work up. There was a thread a month or so ago where a guy was pulling his hair out b/c of voltages until someone pointed out he was on 200V instead of lower. Lowered the range, and found he only had a few mV, which is nothing to worry about.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2612800
I may get overruled by SCSI or someone, but I usually prefer to start on the lowest voltage reading and work up. There was a thread a month or so ago where a guy was pulling his hair out b/c of voltages until someone pointed out he was on 200V instead of lower. Lowered the range, and found he only had a few mV, which is nothing to worry about.

my meter decides on its own what range to use, i just have to go AC or DC