Chemi-pure VS reg carbon

1guydude

Really is it that great? Kid at one of the LFS sold me on this stuff sayin i didnt haft to change it for 6months! That cant be true can it? Also tryin to tell me his water his crystal clear because of it (hes got a 2gal fluval tank)! I have always run reg fluval carbon in my canister and even cheaper AC carbon in my HOB filter and my water seems crystal clear to me! Please tell me i wasnt sold another product from a good salesman!
Also do you rinse ur carbon out before throwing it in ur filter? I do, usually just running it under the tap to get some of that black crap to run clearer!

slice

I run regular carbon, and yes, always rinse until the water is clear. Theories abound regarding carbon dust doing bad things.
I tried Chemi-Pure Elite once but did not give it a fair shake, I'd like to hear what others say about it's use.
There are several different types of carbon on the market; some are purported to be much more efficient than others.
I think Spanko posted good reads regarding running GAC, maybe he will chime in.

bugsman

I have some Chem-Pure Elite in my set up right now and I noticed my water cleared very well with it. But I also have the 6-month question and do you still have to rinse it out when I do regular maintenance.

monsinour

I run Chemi-pure Elite. Keeps my inhabitants happy. I change it out every 5 months just to be safe. It is worth it.

btldreef

I've used just about every carbon on the market, and Chemi-Pure Elite has been the best one thus far. I run it in a reactor on my 180, as this is what I did on the 155. It gets changed every 3 months.
In my 14g, it gets changed when I remember which is usually around 4 months.
I have seen many tanks that go the full 6 months before changing and they've been fine. I just feel that I feed to heavy to use it for that long.
Yes, rinse it before use.
The Elite has a phosphate remover that the regular one does not, that's the difference. The phosphate remover wears out at about 3 months.

1guydude

Quote:
OK, that tears it...when my GAC runs out, I'm going back to Chemi-Pure.
lol i know right!
Well the elite only came in the smaller container so i need to find a LFS that sells the elite in the large one for the larger tank! Since its the one with the GHA!!!!!
Thxs for the replies! The kid is kool and was most likely just tryin to help a fellow out! Hes like why are u buyin this? lol Got me some of it and it had better work out!

monsinour

I have to use 2 of the large ones in my 56g tank. I get them online for $12 a piece. the LFS sells the small one for that much. Even with redonkulous shipping, its still cheaper online.

flower

Carbon is cheap and easy. I buy a big jug of carbon for $14.00 and a package of 10 pack knee high stockings, Each stocking makes three pillows of carbon. I fill them and tie them off as needed, rinse and add them to the filter. It polishes the water, and takes care of any chemical wars the coral puts out.
Anything you buy premeasured and premade is just sucking money out of your pocket.

1guydude

ahhh its easier for me just to buy it pre made! I know i could save a couple bucks y getting those socks for free from the shoe place and use em as filter but i dont have the time for that! LOL
Yesterday from about 4-6pm i was doing my water changes and threw out the old carbon for some of the chemi-pure and this morning it looked clearer but that was in the dark! lol so we shall see i guess. Also the tank with the three days of darkness flower still has the GHA in it! Itll be kool to see it with the lights on tommorow!!!! =) stupid HA better die off

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/386554/chemi-pure-vs-reg-carbon#post_3396250
ahhh its easier for me just to buy it pre made! I know i could save a couple bucks y getting those socks for free from the shoe place and use em as filter but i dont have the time for that! LOL
Yesterday from about 4-6pm i was doing my water changes and threw out the old carbon for some of the chemi-pure and this morning it looked clearer but that was in the dark! lol so we shall see i guess. Also the tank with the three days of darkness flower still has the GHA in it! Itll be kool to see it with the lights on tommorow!!!! =) stupid HA better die off
LOL...Just for the record, those socks won't work, they are too shallow to make a sac. Unless you get rid of what is feeding the HA, as soon as you get the lights on it will return. My HA is caused by my seahorses that get food everywhere, even though I have a feeding station, they wallow in the bowl and send food floating all over.
I pulled a few spots of hair algae up and I have more macro than HA now. So the macroalgae is winning the war for space so far . I have several different types of red macros, and my horses are changing to a rust color as desired. Except the female that hangs out in the Kenya tree forest she is cream colored all the time.
Chemi-pure at $14.00 a sac is pretty expensive....I never trust anything after a month, so the lasts for 6 months rule didn't work for me. I used to use it years ago. I wanted to make my own Chemipure by getting those white carbon looking beads to mix with my carbon....those white phosphate beads (white carbon looking stuff) all say freshwater only, so if that is what is in the chemipure sacs....it isn't doing spit for phosphates in a SW tank.
I would like to know what the white stuff is.

1guydude

idk nothin about the white beads u speak of....i did see some like orange lil chunks though, almost looked like rock candy broken up tiny!
That is my next test for the HA is to feed less portions to the tanks!

jerth6932

BIG +1 on this one. Attack the problem not the aftermath. I fought HA/bubble algae in my 24 for 1 year, then asked my self whats causing it? It was the build up of detitrus, so I pulled your fav trick 1guy, Turkey basted its ACE out of existince!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/386554/chemi-pure-vs-reg-carbon#post_3396261
Unless you get rid of what is feeding the HA, as soon as you get the lights on it will return.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/386554/chemi-pure-vs-reg-carbon#post_3396262
idk nothin about the white beads u speak of....i did see some like orange lil chunks though, almost looked like rock candy broken up tiny!
That is my next test for the HA is to feed less portions to the tanks!
The Chemipure I used was white and black bits in a mesh bag...I have never seen it with orange bits. It's been a while.