Chemicals for Dummies…

sunny

My husband and I started in this hobby about 3 years ago. It was a natural for us since we loved going to aquariums, snorkeling and our other hobby, scuba diving. We started out right around the time of the movie “Finding Nemo”. We were at out local movie theater in Boca Raton, FL where there was a large display of saltwater fish tanks. They were extraordinary. We purchased the “Finding Nemo Special” which consisted of a 12 gallon Eclipse Tank, and three fish, Nemo (clown), Blue Hippo Tang, and a Yellow Tang, live sand and an artificial reef. I won’t even tell you what we paid for it, we were totally suckered. We were told to do a 1/3 water change every month. We purchased the water from the same place we bought our fish. Never had any problems, never tested our water, two years went by and our Blue Hippo Tang grew to almost 5 inches and we did the responsible thing, we upgraded our tank to 72 gallons.
Our 72-gallon tank has been running for a year. When we upgraded we started testing the water with the “Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit” by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Out readings were consistently pH 7.8-8.0, A 0, NO2 0, NO3 0. This tank contained only fish, inverts, and live rock.
Only recently we decided to add some coral/anemone. So, we made the big plunge and purchased metal halide lights, which are supplemented with power compacts, and moon lights. Yesterday, my husband and I went ridding around town to every saltwater fish store we could find to see what new types of coral we could add to our tank. This one place in Fort Lauderdale had some really nice stuff. So we decided to purchase some Zoo Polyps and a Trumpet Coral. Before we checked out we went to look at the chemical section. Someone immediately came over and helped up. Before I new it I had five bottles of chemicals in my arms and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. I asked if there was one bottle of everything all mixed together, then I was given two bottles of trace elements but told I really should go with the five other bottles. Somehow, I left with three bottles and one jar of the following:
·Kent Tech CB Part A
·Kent Tech CB Part B
·Kent Tech M
·Kent Superbuffer dKH
Considering that I never tested for Salinity, Calcium and Alkalinity I also bought Test Kits: Red Sea Ca Test Lab and fastest for Alkalinity. Both of them are very confusing tests which involve counting drops and multiply it in some formula. The calcium was very high and so was the salinity. The alkalinity was at 4.5. So we added some RO water to bring the salinity down.
Please help. We do not know what to do with all of these chemicals. Can someone please write chemicals for dummies?

usinkit

I dont know if this will help. Iam not big on chemicals myself. What I do is add Kent superbuffer and Seachem reef advantage calium to my tank. I generally dose 1/2 TBS of superbuffer everyother day and 1/2 TBS of calcium once a week. Thats about what my tank consumes in a week. After awhile of testing and dosing you pretty much get a read on when your tank needs calcium or to boost your alkalinity. Just make sure to test your water before you add anything to it. I dont add any other chemical to my tank just those two. All your trace elements are in your water change. I change out 5 gallons of water every week without fail on my 40 gallon. I used to add the Part A and B liquid for calcium and alkalinity but found I was going through way too much ,so I switched over to calcium powder and buffer. The powder goes a long way. HTH

After testing for say Calcium (being mine is low right now) I read the bottles of B-Ionic Chemicals I have.
Following the basic directions on the bottles will help you either raise or lower whatever you need. Study up on what different corals require before you buy them, then you can also figure out what you need to test for and what extra chemicals you'll require.
Most things in your tank will need calcium, so I wouldn't worry about that so much right now, after you start putting snails and coral in there you'll find you're adding calcium regularly as well as some other things.
Now as far as our LFS go, in all the years I've been doing this, Barrier Reef on 2nd & 20th is actually the best LFS going. There are alot of these new ones popping up like the one on US1 in Deerfield, but he doesn't have much aside from dry goods. Of course they all have plusses and minuses, but I only talking about the ones in our general range. Not to mention if you want to try out some coral right now and see how it goes, they have a coral sale going on while they change storefronts.

ledzep fan

So it is possible to have a Blue hippo Tang in a 12 gallon? Just wondering cause i getting a 12 gallon DX.