Chicago Area Stores

jamiev3

I live in the northern suburbs and I am looking for a few good stores. I have found a few decent places, dry goods, food ect. But I have still not found a place that has nice corals. I have seen a few other Chitowners on this board, an I would love some info. Thanx
James

don berry

The best ones that I have run into are Advanced Aquatics in Schaumburg on roselle rd., Beyond the Reef in Schaumburg. There are some others, but they either have a small selection or are outrageously priced. These places won't be the cheapest, but have nice corals and clean tanks.

templar

Us Chicago people should get some kind of reef club or something going, makes it cheaper on the wallet trading frags and gives each other ideas on how we can all improve our tanks! Reef party!

sterling007

I think the best around chicago is probably "Living Seas" in Park Ridge. It's on the corner of Devon and Cumberland. Wonderful selection. The must have 50 tanks of fish and probably 30 tanks dedicated to reef tanks. They also have a pool of 2 to 3 foot black tip sharks, and a pool of small rays. It's almost better than going to the Shedd Aquarium.

don berry

I agree that that place is the best place to go if you want to look, but their prices are outrageous! I've never seen an pet store more expensive in all of my travels.

G

glazer

Jamie,
You need to check out Reef Dweller... Interesting shop to say the least, lol The guy has a little bit of everything in corals, great frags and some of the best prices that I have seen around the area. It's on the corner of Lincoln and Lawrence.
When I say interesting shop... this guy is all about corals, not a thing fancy about the shop in any shape or form. Lots of 2 x4 supports and RubberMade gizmos, ya gotta check out his surge/wave system he has on one of his big growing tanks. Tim the toolman meets reeftank,hahaha.

pufferfreak

I also live in the northern suburbs and there are a couple of places I go. I go to Exotic Aquatic in Lake in the Hills they are good if you go when there is a sale, they have really good livestock, I go to Beyond the Reef they are good but pricey, I also like Advanced Aquatics most of time they are reasonably priced. Also they is a reef club I was gonna join but I never followed through I think u get a 10-15% discount on stores in the area.

billkil

It is great to see so many reefers from the area. I live downtown and unfortunately there are only a couple of stores to choose from. Have any of you ever been to Old Town Aquarium on Wells just south of North Ave.? They have a great selection of saltwater fish and corals. They have been in business for over 25 years and have a very knowledgeable staff. The store is always very clean and well stocked with fish. I would like to see them carry a wider selection of corals though and there prices are pretty expensive. I made a copy of this list so that I can visit some of the above mentioned locations next time I head to the burbs. Thanks for the info.

diceman

If anyone here goes to the south side of Chicago you can find a place called Barrier Reef Aquatics at 5716 S. Archer. The owner is a guy called Mike and of all the places I've been, he has a small shop in comparison to Living Seas, but his tanks are the cleanest you will find and the fish are VERY healthy. He really knows his stuff. His prices are fair at best but his fish are very nice. I've been there at feeding time and the fish go crazy for the food which is a very good sign of healthy fish. He only sells net caught fish.

goofyreefer

I can't really add any other stores which I've been to that haven't already been mentioned. My 2 favorites are Living Sea and Old Town. They are to totally different stores but I just look at them since they are pricey. Advanced Aquatics in Schaumburg is the one I buy from mostly prices aren't that bad and the tanks look good.
The idea of a club for Chicagoans does exist it's called CMAS (Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society) I'm not a member but if you do join you get a 10-15% discount at almost all the stores mentioned in this thread. I have no idea about the workings of this club. They had a swap meet/sale about 2 weeks ago and I went to check it out since it was close to home. I bought Pavona and Green Montipora frags for a total of $30. It wasn't anything really big it was infact held in a classroom at the library and about 6 or 7 people were selling frags and/or supplies. I consider joining but I don't know.

There is a store called Scotts Pet Shop in Westchester and its got a good selection. The place is always jumping and everytime I've been there the tanks were all real clean. I was just there saturday and they had about 25 diffrent types of inverts. Also have a ray tank with huge rays .