Chickens

jay0705

Totally not fish related lol however are any of you folks familiar with raising chickens?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, not me. I am familiar with how to get rid of them. LOL I have to say I used to live in Key West and, if you know anything about the island, it is infested with feral chickens. The problem developed over decades and there is literally no where you can go that you won't see, or hear, chickens/rosters. Including at 3am. The biggest problem, though, is that city government, in all it wisdom, refuses to do anything about it because the tourists just think chickens everywhere is so quaint and sweet and a few vocal chicken lovers scream when there is a hint of anything to be done about the infestation. I wonder how they feel about an avian flu event in the area?? Basically, they are a tourist attraction rather than an infestation of a destructive invasive bird species.....wow.

http://www.floridarambler.com/funky-florida/key-west-chickens-key-west-roosters/

Sorry, can't help you with your actual question....just don't get roosters though.

jay0705

Ha ha , i saw something about that i believe on dirty jobs. They where catching some. I can't believe there isn't any natural predators like fox?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Key West is a city, small size, but very congested and every corner occupied by buildings and vehicles. No foxes. The only predators are humans and it's illegal to kill them! Even so. well many meet that fate anyway. There are actually a few invasive species taken hold down there, including iguanas but nothing as annoying as chickens. If you like a nice garden...forget it. They dig up and pick through everything. My mom actually took in a cock-fighting rooster that showed up. He was a big and beautiful bird, and, surprisingly domesticated.

jay0705

I know the burmese python is an issue in the everglades.
In doing research the variety of chickens is amazing. Roosters are generally more colourful aswell.

2quills

Once the pythons make it to key west the problem should be solved lol.

You going to raise chickens now Jay?

jay0705

Ha ha ha good point 2quills.
Yea it was actually the wifes idea this time. She likes the thought of fresh eggs

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The burmese I think will remain at the top of the food chain in the everglades with only the alligator giving it a challenge. I'd expect some species to go extinct there over time because of it. There are actually a lot of "pet" snakes that have been dropped off in the Everglades. Heck, I keep threatening my own snakes with a drop off, but they look at me as if to say, "When we goin' ?!" :rolleyes: A whole new Wild Adventure down there.

There's also a nuclear plant in the area which has, as a matter of fact, help save the Florida crocodile who found a safe-haven in the plant's cooling canals. They actually glow in the dark!! JK.:D

jay0705

Ha ha ha , i deer hunt at nuke owned property. Iam waiting for a glower!!
I forgot your a rep keeper, back in the day i had a few myself

jay0705

They store low grade waste. Its 64,000 acres. They allow us to hunt on 2400 of it. Too many deer car collisions,when they didn't allow hunting