Chili Coral Pics

kjord97

:cheer: Hello all, Just thought I would share some pics of my chili coral. I recieved this about 8 months ago from a gentleman selling his tank. It was a solid hard red mass just covered in algae. I placed it in the tank and it sat there for 4 months. Then slowly started to open up at night. Well 8 months later and I managed to catch a pic of it opened after a long night.
I feed the chili once a week with cyclopeeze.

I also included a shot of the full tank.

the j.o.p.

wow!!! i've never seen on that looks that good.. the ones at my LFS are always just lying on there side like mush.

kainex

I like them. but arnt they sapposed to be hung upside down from a ledge in low light? Yours seem very happy and wouldn't change a thing but I have some that I had for about 2 months now and the never opend untell last week or so. Anyone know?

kjord97

Mine sits in the shade and only opens at night, usally abuot 3-4 hours after the lights go off. The only reason why the coral is still open in the pic, is becuase the lights just turned on ( abuot noon) and it was starting to shrink back down. I usally feed 1 time a week in the morning before i go to work.

kjord97

if you notice it sits behind my galaxia, in the first photo, you will notice you only see a small bit of red, becuase the chili is all shrunk up.

kevin34

I was thinking about getting a chili coral in the future. Can you give me some info on them like what kind of care level they are? Do you need to spot feed it? What kind of lighting do you have?

fallnhorse

mine has gone from good to dying. I'm not a fan of them at all. Way too difficult and mine hates light. Worst purchase of any saltwater creature i ever bought.

kjord97

I have found that I give it very little attention. The coral is sitting under a ledge where it is PARTIALLY SHADED from my 2 150 watt 14k halides. During the day it is all small and just looks like a red bump, but about 3 hours after the lights go out and until morning it is big and fully open everyday. I feed the coral about once a week cyclopeeze when it is open in the morning. They do not require light to live and are highly recommended for nano aqauriums due to them staying small and it adds alot of color to the tank.

taznut

beautiful color, i think i would have thrown it away before it opened (since it took 4 weeks)... good job...

kjord97

Originally Posted by taznut
beautiful color, i think i would have thrown it away before it opened (since it took 4 weeks)... good job...

took 4 months, i kinda forgot about it, till one night comming home from the bar, i looked in the tank at 3 am and saw it start to open up. then i checked on it late at night every week. started to feed it when it got really open. It was a nice save. Speaking the guy i got it from was going to throw it away.
That is why I never throw anything away that is in a tank. Dead or alive, something will grow on it.