Chiller help?? Anyone? :(

nissan577

I'm in the process of buying a chiller for my reef. I sold the LEDS and went back to a Maristar MH/T5 combo. My question is they wanna sell me a JBJ artica 1/3 HP for $250 used only 1 month since they switch to led
My tank is a 50g. Will that be good enough or no?
My tank is running at 81 degrees
but will love it for 77 degrees and i got tons of acros there!

flower

Hi,
I have the 1/3 JBJ Artica on the 90g to keep it cooled at 66 degrees. So I feel pretty confident to tell you that the used chiller you want will do the job with no problems.
That's a great deal on the price!

nissan577

Perfect! My question is now the following what temp should my reef tank be? Starting to do sps got like 5 mix colonies

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan577 http:///t/395176/chiller-help-anyone#post_3517730
Perfect! My question is now the following what temp should my reef tank be? Starting to do sps got like 5 mix colonies
I never kept SPS, but a reef should be between 78 and 82...84 is not a big deal either and they can stand up to 90 for a day. The higher the temp the faster algae grows, and if something goes wrong it goes faster the warmer the temp. Oh and the warmer the temp the less oxygen, but if you have good surface agitation, that usually isn't a problem.A chiller is needed for seahorses, but for a reef it really is a luxury...unless you live with no AC in a desert.
A couple of fans blowing over the top of the tank is usually enough to cool off heat from the MH lights....

deejeff442

man 81 degrees? save your cash. i would add another powerhead in that long tank it will bring the temp down 2 degrees.i see your lights are plenty above the tank so that no problem.
by the way that tank looks sweet.nice job. i wouldnt worry about temp. untill it hits 85. if you arent close to that dont bother with the chiller. i have been running metal halides for 25+ years and never used a chiller.

nissan577

LOL...How warm does it get in your home in the summer?
flower I live in Miami so imagine lol ima buy a fan now :)
man 81 degrees? save your cash. i would add another powerhead in that long tank it will bring the temp down 2 degrees.i see your lights are plenty above the tank so that no problem.
by the way that tank looks sweet.nice job. i wouldnt worry about temp. untill it hits 85. if you arent close to that dont bother with the chiller. i have been running metal halides for 25+ years and never used a chiller.
thanks for the heads up:) and also thanks!! I currently have 2 koralias 1150 in there now

acrylic51

Tank looks good.....I don't think long sustained high temps like some are stating is a good thing long term.....The killer is keeping it stable with minimal temp fluctuation.......80-81 would be tops I'd push and that would only be done if I didn't have an option, but 78-79 would be my target range, and again keeping it stable with little to no fluctuation.......

nissan577

Tank looks good.....I don't think long sustained high temps like some are stating is a good thing long term.....The killer is keeping it stable with minimal temp fluctuation.......80-81 would be tops I'd push and that would only be done if I didn't have an option, but 78-79 would be my target range, and again keeping it stable with little to no fluctuation.......
Hey thanks! I jut bought a fan and ima connect it with the metal halide so when it turns on so will the fan.

deejeff442

way back when i got my mh system for some reason the temp kept going to 84.well figured out the timer for the fan system wasnt working.once i put the fans on it went down to 78-79.a big difference

nissan577

way back when i got my mh system for some reason the temp kept going to 84.well figured out the timer for the fan system wasnt working.once i put the fans on it went down to 78-79.a big difference
What do you mean "well figured out the timer for the fan wasn't working"

deejeff442

i had a timer for the mh and another for the fans in the unit.the mh came on but the fans didnt.the fans were very quiet so i didnt figure they werent working.also my tank and stand were 6 foot tall so the lights were over that.

nissan577

i had a timer for the mh and another for the fans in the unit.the mh came on but the fans didnt.the fans were very quiet so i didnt figure they werent working.also my tank and stand were 6 foot tall so the lights were over that.
So your saying I shouldn't run them together?

deejeff442

you need to run them together.i dont run the fans unless the mh are on.the compacts dont really make much heat.you have hanging lights i have a system that sits on the tank.my lights were 6 inches off the water.i know there is a small quiet fan that can sit on the end of the tank and blow across the water .that would work.you would just have to look around to find it.

flower

My MHs came with two fans already, before that, I used retrofit MHs and put 2 fans in the canopy... one facing inward and the other outward. I never bothered with a chiller until I got the seahorses. I have a 48" Coralife Elite (2 X 175w MH with 2 X 96w actinic) with 2 fans embedded in the unit, for anyone who wants to pay the shipping....PM me

nissan577

you need to run them together.i dont run the fans unless the mh are on.the compacts dont really make much heat.you have hanging lights i have a system that sits on the tank.my lights were 6 inches off the water.i know there is a small quiet fan that can sit on the end of the tank and blow across the water .that would work.you would just have to look around to find it.
:) got one gonna instal today

nissan577

My MHs came with two fans already, before that, I used retrofit MHs and put 2 fans in the canopy... one facing inward and the other outward. I never bothered with a chiller until I got the seahorses. I have a 48" Coralife Elite (2 X 175w MH with 2 X 96w actinic) with 2 fans embedded in the unit, for anyone who wants to pay the shipping....PM me
Ur selling in my thread lmao

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan577 http:///t/395176/chiller-help-anyone#post_3517834
Ur selling in my thread lmao
LOL...I'm not selling anything...I'm trying with all my might to give the thing away, but I can't afford to pay to ship it. I paid quite a bit of money for it, I just want to clear out my garage. Every time I'm reminded of the MH lights..l offer them again, otherwise it's out of sight out of mind. Until I go into the garage anyway.
Oh, and we are not allowed to sell or buy anything on the site...give away is okay.