Chiller in stand????

bpro32

Can I put a chiller under my tank in the stand if I drill holes out and install fans for extra ventilation??
I also have an open back and will keep the front door open during the day...

scsinet

You'd need a LOT of ventilation, and a way to ensure that the intake of the chiller receives mostly fresh air and that the exhaust is mostly exhausted from the stand, not recirculated within.
No manufacturer would recommend putting their chiller in a stand, nor would I.

bpro32

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3038211
You'd need a LOT of ventilation, and a way to ensure that the intake of the chiller receives mostly fresh air and that the exhaust is mostly exhausted from the stand, not recirculated within.
No manufacturer would recommend putting their chiller in a stand, nor would I.
ok the chiller I have is rusty as all hell and VERY ugly. How can I sort of cover it up but still give it enough ventilation?

scsinet

yeah spray painting is probably the easiest. If there is exposed rust, putting it in the cabinet along with a skimmer, open sump, etc will only expose it to more moisture and make the rust get much worse.
Take the cover off and use naval jelly to remove the rust. It'll also take off the paint, but you'll be repainting anyway.
Then use a steel wire brush or some heavy steel wool to smooth it up as best you can, prime, and paint. A good spray enamel with a semi-gloss or gloss finish will probably stand up to saltwater environments the best.

bpro32

My problem, that I'm finding out a little late, is that the cihller doesn't have a cover on it and the brass pipes have turned green. It is my understanding that no matter what I do those pipes will turn green again without weekly polishing...
So... is there anything I can cover it with and still keep good ventilation?

scsinet

Originally Posted by bpro32
http:///forum/post/3038720
My problem, that I'm finding out a little late, is that the cihller doesn't have a cover on it and the brass pipes have turned green. It is my understanding that no matter what I do those pipes will turn green again without weekly polishing...
So... is there anything I can cover it with and still keep good ventilation?
The copper plumbing oxidizes when it is regularly exposed to moisture. The condensate on the refrigerant lines regularly causes this.
If you are concerned about that particular aspect of it's appearance, perhaps you can use some of the foam pipe insulation they sell at home improvement stores. That'll dress up the pipe and stop the condensation.

bpro32

foam pipe insulation... I can give that a try I guess.
I've heard most people say that chillers in stands are a bad idea, but nobody has told me why besides that they are inefficient.. What does that mean?

scsinet

http:///forum/post/3038855
foam pipe insulation... I can give that a try I guess.
I've heard most people say that chillers in stands are a bad idea, but nobody has told me why besides that they are inefficient.. What does that mean?
Well to be honest it comes down to a matter of thermodynamics.
Chillers, like all refrigeration systems, move heat. They extract heat from the water and dump it into the air.
The thing that most people don't get is that water and air are different when it comes to the amount of heat they can hold. Water can hold MUCH more heat than air for a given unit. So to reduce the water temperature, the chiller must dump that heat into many times that volume in air, plus the heat that the chiller produces itself due to inefficiencies. A small chiller operating can easily heat a whole room.
If you don't provide enough ventilation for the chiller, you'll impair it's ability to dump heat, but not decreasing the electrical consumption. Ergo, it runs longer, burns more power to accomplish the same task.
Drilling holes in a stand or even adding a couple of dinky fans isn't gonna do it. Some people may have had their chiller work okay this way, but it they don't realize how inefficient it's running.

bpro32

Ok finally an explanation I understand. Thank you for your help but I may just have to keep running the fans I have over the tank and move the chiller to the frag tank in the garage where it wont show its ugliness.

aquaknight

What about if you just build a box for the chiller to sit into, next to the stand? The box would be completely open front and back, you'd just put some type of privacy screen over the front? That wouldn't/shouldn't restriction air circulation. You then could even paint/stain the box (if made out of wood) to match the stand, and if you get crazy enough add the matching trim as the stand?

scsinet

http:///forum/post/3039329
Ok finally an explanation I understand. Thank you for your help but I may just have to keep running the fans I have over the tank and move the chiller to the frag tank in the garage where it wont show its ugliness.

If you've got an outdoor location shielded from the rain, you may consider running hose or pipe to the outside and locating your chiller out there. That has the added benefit that the heat it puts out doesn't end up in the house... where AC needs to move it again to the outside. Just make sure you bring it in in the winter months if you get freezing temperatures.

bpro32

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3039341
What about if you just build a box for the chiller to sit into, next to the stand? The box would be completely open front and back, you'd just put some type of privacy screen over the front? That wouldn't/shouldn't restriction air circulation. You then could even paint/stain the box (if made out of wood) to match the stand, and if you get crazy enough add the matching trim as the stand?

I have given this thought, basically using a speaker box to house the chiller. Problem is that I'm not good enough with wood work to make it look even close to good.
Originally Posted by SCSInet

http:///forum/post/3039364
If you've got an outdoor location shielded from the rain, you may consider running hose or pipe to the outside and locating your chiller out there. That has the added benefit that the heat it puts out doesn't end up in the house... where AC needs to move it again to the outside. Just make sure you bring it in in the winter months if you get freezing temperatures.
Only thing I am afraid of with this would be drilling through the wall of my living room. It definitely is the best idea yet though...