Chiller with MH lighting

yammer

I'm thinking about upgrading the lighting on my 100gal from 4 110 VHO's to 2 MH and 2 VHO actinic. My main question is whether it would be a given or not that I'd need a chilller with MH. I don't have one now and with just 2 fans at either end of the hood blowing out air my temps are held at a nice 82 all year.
Of the people who use MH, do you all also own a chiller. Or do fan combos work for some of you? I assume the wattage would also play a big factor, so lets assume I use 250W for the sake of discussion.

fishfood

On my 55 I have a 3 bulb vho and a 175watt MH and all i ran this past summer was one fan. I did have a little problem with heat though. On my 26 that i just set up i have a 250w MH and two 20watt NO bulbs. I haven't installed the fans yet and i have my temp at 80 with no problems of it going higher so far. I'm sure i'll have problems this summer unless i get the 2 fans in because the house has poor insulation and the temp was fairly high inside last year.

reeflooker

Every one I've ever talked with at LFSs say that if your going to have MH you need a chiller. However, some people on the board claim that you can use just fans if your canopy is designed properly. You might want to search previous posts on the topic.
Also might be a good idea to start a poll to determine what percentage using chillers -vs- without chillers.
Good luck - Reeflooker

richard rendos

I use a chiller on my big tank with the highest wattage MH's/VHO's, but I have other tanks with MH's and have no problem with heat. Guess it depends on the temp in the house, how well the canopy is vented, or if you use pendants. Lots of variables.

tangtang

Hey Yammer!
I purchased a chiller for my 100 gallon w/250 MH HQI. LFS talked me into it for the Santa Ana's and summer season. Sure enough! I had to run the chiller during last week's Santa Ana. Minus the Santa Ana, I don't run it. Heck! It's winter... right? <smile>
Glad I bought it. I don't think we have much choice out here. (I'm in San Diego.)
Linda