Chiller

elton092982

I wanted to know what everyone does in the summer when it gets hot. Does everyone use a chiller??? Or is there something else you use. I don't have a chiller and if you in the east coast you know its that time where the weather gets
. My temp when I left the house today was at 82 deg. I'm worried with the lights on its gonna get above 85 deg. I shut the heaters off since I doubt I'll need them.

marka1620

This will be my 1st summer with the tank. I have a window unit AC and hopefully that will do the trick. Keeping the lid off should help it cool off via evaporation.
If you don't have AC, I would think a chiller is a must. Atleast here in MA. where the summer temp. can reach the triple digits.

aztec reef

Well i don't think that shutting the heater off was such a good idea, the reason is if at the hottest daytime you get 85 and at night and without a heater you go all the way down to lets say 78 thats a big fluctuation in temp..Tomorrow could be one of those cloudy breeze days

I never used a chiller, maybe it's because i hang my lights or cause i have AC in my house

but my tanks have always stayed within 78-81 in winter and 81-85 on summer. I set my heater to the lowest of those levels that way it never gets hotter or colder than those ranges..cause when it's Hot here in OR it's
and in winter it's rainy and freezing..
If you get higher temp than 85 than you will most likely need a chiller, do you already have fans in the canopy?

elton092982

where in MA. are you located? I live down south near the water so triple digits usually doesnt happen. But I just called my cousin to check it out since today its close to 90 where I live and she said the temp was 82 when I left the house it was the temp was 81 so that kinda of gives me a litttle relief that it only went up 1 degree

marka1620

Originally Posted by elton092982
where in MA. are you located? I live down south near the water so triple digits usually doesnt happen. But I just called my cousin to check it out since today its close to 90 where I live and she said the temp was 82 when I left the house it was the temp was 81 so that kinda of gives me a litttle relief that it only went up 1 degree
I live in Attleboro, MA. The outside temp here is currently 91 degrees. I put in the AC unit last night. So, it's a pleasant 78 degrees in the house.

ime, it is not so much as the temp, but big swings in temp is worse. now, you dont want your tank running a 100 degs. Keep the heater on, and try to keep the big temp swings to a minumin.

elton092982

I haven't really seen much of a temp swing besides a few degrees I mean my temps usually between 79 - 83 deg. respectively. What will worry me is if I go home today and my temp is above that . I have been checking in with my cousin and she says the temp reading is 83 deg. when I left this morning it was 81.

Originally Posted by elton092982
I haven't really seen much of a temp swing besides a few degrees I mean my temps usually between 79 - 83 deg. respectively. What will worry me is if I go home today and my temp is above that . I have been checking in with my cousin and she says the temp reading is 83 deg. when I left this morning it was 81.
Mine gets to about 84 during the day, and about 79-80 at night. I did have some fans that blow across the top of the tank, got to get them hooked back up. They kept it more steady.
This is under 2x175 mh, 1x250mh

stanlalee

a) unless there is a power outage my house will never be 80+ degree's. 75deg feels stuffy to me.
b) I have two 175mh and without fans my tank went for months reaching 84-85deg daily with no issues what so ever.
c) I added a few fans to the canopy and my tank stays around 80deg, perhaps reaching a max of 82deg
that being said its going to have to be damn hot before I invest in a chiller and the noise and space occupation that comes with it. when I'm done adding everything else i want to add (large auto top off reservior, calcium reactor) there will be no room for a chiller. I think I'd try a few more tricks if neccessary like a fan for the sump, external return pump, vortech powerhead who's drivetrain is outside the tank, more canopy fans lol.

elton092982

well thats what its been idled around 84- 85 deg. I just thought it was a little hot for them. I have a pair of sebae clowns a bt damsel and a royal G in the tank