chocolate chip star

hawkeyes73

so is it 100% not reef safe... I have one and I was thinking about getting into reef but I don't know lots about it... so... what will it eat... is there anything it won't? and has anyone had any expirence with this? thanks!

lovethesea

not worth the risk of losing your expensive reef. I saw one pry open a clam and suck it dry. It will eat your mushrooms like a steak dinner.
Some have said spot feeding will take care of it, but I wouldn't trust it. They are scavengers by nature and what ever meaty item they happen upon, they will want to eat.
We spot feed ours twice a week and we have watched him on occaision go for a snail..:eek:

dacia

Spot feeding wouldn't stop a chocolate chip starfish from eating corals unless you fed him 24/7. I have one in a FOWLR that is spot fed everyday, and after he is done eating, he stretches out his arms at the top of the tank and begs for more. When we don't feed him, he goes towards the sandbed and looks for some yummy snails. He got 2 when we were on vacation...I suppose the person we got to feed our fish didn't feed Mr. Chips as much as we do.

dacia

Mr. Chips is about 2-3 inches or so, and Patrick (in another FOWLR) is about half his size. Both eat voraciaously, but Mr. Chips grows a lot faster than Patrick does.

lovethesea

ours is quite the bum. Some times he gets into the corner at the bottome of the tank and looks like a drunk person passed out. He is always laying outwards at the top begging for food.
A friend of mine freaks out and thinks Chip is gonna climb out.