CHOCOLATE Chip Starfish

ttv83

I'm new to this species. How can I feed them. I understand that they are carnoviors but I'm at a loss as to how to keep him/her feed?
The guy at the aquarium store said I could put the fish on top of some food. Is this the best method? What are your recomendations for food type and how to feed?
Thanks

johnnysalt

Mine ate all the coraline algae he could get his suckers on! Beware of that star....if you don't care about the nice looking rock, have at it! If I were you I'd trade him for a different species....maybe a linkia or serpent or a bristle....no worries with those in my experience! :cool:

pufferlover

I have one in my 45 with a snowflake; Maroon clown; Coral hogfish and a cleaner wrasse. Mine will come to the top of the tank and sort of lay back on the waters edge and I place a piece of Krill or Squid near its middle then it attachs to the glass puts its stomach out and has at it. Very cool but needs to be FO kept only. When it does not come topdside I do not worry nor try to feed it as I am sure it finds plenty around the bottom. I feed it because I enjoy doing so.

guppie

I have feed mine like pufferlover said, and I also set in on a peice of krill or silver sides about once a week. good Luck

nasukan

I have two of them, and a tank full of coraline algae. I don't see how a starfish can eat anything as hard as coraline algae. Johnny no offense, but Paulie Ayala really sucks.

johnnysalt

Nasukan,
Until I searched the net, I didn't even know who that was....and that he was from Fort Worth for that matter.....Sorry, just don't keep up with the W.B.A. Bantamweight World Champion....I have a life! Oh yeah, no offense either! hah!
btw, speaking of his title....that's like saying Jordan sucked! :D
To reply to your first statement though, whether you "see how" it can eat it or not is not the point, cc stars have "bulldozed" many ppl's lr here (not to mention the cc eating their inverts)....do a search.
But TTV83, it's usually the same story, one might do great in your tank, another cc might eat other inverts or coralline. :cool: