chocolate chip starfish

aquaman623

I have a well established 55 gal. fish only tank that is also home to 2 blue crabs, a sand sifter and a large Volitan (lion fish). I have owned the starfish for a week or so and don't really know what the normal behavior is. I was wondering if the starfish should stay at the top of the tank with the arms at the top of the water. The tip of the arms are also curled slightly. Is this normal? Tests on water are normal with the exception of the nitrate being a little high(45ppm).

It is possible that he is skimming the top of the water. Hard to be sure.
My blue linckia does this on occassion. I have also seen the asterina stars (hitchhikers) in my tank exhibit that behavior.
Just keep an eye on him. He maybe going through an acclimation period.
MCF

acez28

feed him more.....mine does that when he hasnt had enuff to eat. after he gets full he back to the LR

cgr

I had a starfish that would always do. I would place a piece of lettuce on it, and it would eat it. When finished with the lettuce, it woul drop and continue about its busines.

ophiura

It is fairly normal. However, your nitrate levels are getting quite high, so you want to consider water changes. Watch the specific gravity and temp when doing this, as seastars are easily shocked with sudden changes. As mentioned in the other thread, they will take nearly anything meaty (actually, nearly anything, but they are generally more carnivorous). Also keep in mind that blue crabs can get nasty as they get large, and may go after the stars.

It seems to be normal to me. I have two chocalate chip stars and they do it once a day when they think it is time to feed the fish they will grab the krill and seaweed.
Sarah :)