Choosing a Tang- Achilles or Chevron?

oceanlover

I have been lucky enough to get a new 140 gallon aquarium and while it is being set-up and cycling I am researching fish again to decide on the final list of inhabitants.
In the tang arena, I really like the Chevron Tang and the Achilles Tang. Although the Achilles is a bit prettier, somehow I am strongly drawn to the Chevron. I would be interested in your experience with these two tangs in a reef environment. I am especially interested in their persaonality.
Don't worry, I won't add both tangs to the tank and I won't add them for some time as I let the new tank mature some. I just like thinking and researching about the new tank.

spanko

No experience here. Just wanted to say good luck on a very hard choice, to me they are both beauties!!!!

crimzy

Originally Posted by OceanLover
http:///forum/post/2821805
I have been lucky enough to get a new 140 gallon aquarium and while it is being set-up and cycling I am researching fish again to decide on the final list of inhabitants.
In the tang arena, I really like the Chevron Tang and the Achilles Tang. Although the Achilles is a bit prettier, somehow I am strongly drawn to the Chevron. I would be interested in your experience with these two tangs in a reef environment. I am especially interested in their persaonality.
Don't worry, I won't add both tangs to the tank and I won't add them for some time as I let the new tank mature some. I just like thinking and researching about the new tank.
IMO the Chevron is a better choice. Achilles are much more delicate and you have a better chance of success with a Chevron. Also, the Chevron doesn't get quite as big as the Achilles so it would do better in your tank.

funkysean5

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2821812
IMO the Chevron is a better choice. Achilles are much more delicate and you have a better chance of success with a Chevron. Also, the Chevron doesn't get quite as big as the Achilles so it would do better in your tank.
Yep,what crimzy said.

aquaknight

I would favor the Chevron too due to size as well in that tank, and finding a healthy Achilles is sort of a mini-mission. Just make sure you know what an adult Chevron looks like, as they color change. I've heard them referred as plain and dull as adult, but finally saw a monster adult at a new LFS for the first time, I went to yesterday, wow, what a beautiful fish, IMO. Beautiful black with white/gray lines all over, sort of like a pinstripe suit. Very sharp.

stanlalee

I was just about to bring up the Chevron is a pretty ugly tang wants its morphs into its adult colors. At least it lives though, Achilles have very poor survival rates even when everything is done right.

oceanlover

Wow, I didn't know that the Chevron tang changed colors. You always see them as sort of orange. But the picture of the adult is very cool!
If the Achilles tangs are fragile I will steer clear of them. I just hate it if some beautiful fish in my care dies.
Thanks all for the info. I really like to research my fish before I add them to my tank.

clownfish11

I am getting an achilles pair when I settle to a big tank(180+++) so I mean im biased toward the achilles

al mc

As you can tell from my avatar, I am partial to the Achilles. I feel I am fairly responsible and was able to keep mine alive for only about two years. I have had no mortalities with other tangs after three years.
The Achilles is very difficult and needs a stable, well established tank.

crimzy

Originally Posted by OceanLover
http:///forum/post/2821993
Crimzy and Funksean5,
Can you tell me anything about the Chevron Tang personality?
Thanks!
Most tangs have similar personalities. They all can be a bit skittish when stressed. The Chevron is a fish that will generally be out and swimming and will constantly pick on rocks. They are less aggressive than other tangs and should be able to get along with either community or some mildly aggressive fish. Pretty hardy and can generally be a good fit in most tanks that are over 55 gallons IMO.