Christmas Tree Coral (Sphaerella)

yosemite sam

Are Christmas Tree Corals non-photosynthetic? I saw a few down at the LFS today, and did not realize that. Have people had success with them? If they are a good coral, I may add them to the wish list for my deep water tank. Thanks for any info.

spyderreef

Are you talking Spirobranchus? I have a rock in my tank with five of them, all the same color. They are filter feeders but they are in a rock covered with Porites. I believe that Porites requires more light. I was trying to find some more information for you in the book that I own and it looks like there are two subspecies. Specimens from the Indo-Pacific and specimens from the Atlantic-Caribbean. It appears that Atlantic-Caribbean subspecies does not occur embedded in colonies of Porites coral. This may be the type that would work for you. I wish I could offer more information. FYI The book that I have is Natural Reef Aquariums by John H. Tullock. There is quite a lengthy article plus a list of companion marine life. Good Luck.

yosemite sam

spyderreef,
Thanks for all the help, but there is actually another coral call a christmas tree coral, not the christmas tree worms. It sort of looks like a beige/green colt or finger leather.

spyderreef

Sorry, my mistake. I was hoping that I could be of some help as you were helpful to me with the clam. I will keep you updated.