clam and star qt question

dmschiff

I just ordered a maxima clam and an orange linckia. I know it is best to QT everything, but doubt my qt is sufficient for these critters. I have MH on the DT but the qt is a dinky little 5 gallon with a 15 w bulb.
Should I attempt to qt them and watch them carefully or should I just accilmate them and place directly into the dt? Not sure which risk to take...DT contamination or stress to the clam and star due to lack of light and food.
Any suggestions? How long can the clam survive with those low light levels?

ophiura

I would not QT them personally. The clam is a relatively greater risk due to the shell and the possibility some sort of thing may have hitch hiked on it. The star is going to have a hard time as it is. Be sure to acclimate well and specific gravity should be 1.025-1.026. I would not QT the star, and it is personal preference on the clam.

nietzsche

quarantine clams to monitor any signs of pyram snails or flatworms. but usually the QT has to have strong lighting and have good parameters.
if youre going to put the clam in the DT make sure to look on the underside and check for anything attached like snails. make sure you get a tooth brush and scrub the shell in case anything laid eggs on the shell

dmschiff

My order came quick so I decided not to QT the clam or the star. after acclimation the star started up the glass and changed his mind and went for the lr and is slowly roaming.
Oh I wish I would have seen the advice about the toothbrush first. During acclimation, I noticed a few pods and a small bristle worm crawling off its shell. It roamed the acclimation box and then dissappeared again. I'm sure it is somewhere on the shell, but is undetectable. Makes me fearful of all the other things hiding.