Clam in my tank ????????

weber518

I dropped a CLAM IN MY TANK AND HE STARTED TO OPEN UP IMMEDIATELY ! I HEARD A CLAM IS GOOD FOR YOUR TANK TO HELP CONTROL AMONIA, I PUT HIM IN THERE FOR MY STAR FISH. QUESTION ???? THE CLAM STARTED TO EMIT A BLUEISH COLOR CLOUD OUT OF HIM, (GOOD OR BAD ??) HE OPENED HIS SHELL APPROXIMATELY 1/3 OF AN INCH OR MORE, ALTHOUGH WHEN A FISH CAME AROUND HE WOULD CLOSE UP QUICKLY AND THAN OPENED UP AGAIN WHEN ALL WAS SAFE. ALL SEEMS OK BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK, KEEP HIM IN OR TAKE HIM OUT ??? i JUST DONT WANT TO HURT MY OTHER FISH. PLEASE RESPOND BACK SO I KNOW WHAT TO DO. THE BLUEISH CLOUD HAS NOT HAPPENDED AGAIN JUST HAPPENED A COUPLE OF TIMES. I PURCHASED HIM AT THE LOCAL GROCERY STORE.
JASON

garnet13aj

If it hasn't opened up all the way I'd leave it in there. I'd wait for a few other people to answer about the cloud sometimes they do that to mate but I'm not sure in this circumstance. But I'd make sure to feed the starfish other food as well because sometimes my starfish will go after the clams and sometimes he won't or he can't get them open. Also, some people may not be responding because they don't like when people write in all caps because it's hard to read, so in the future I would suggest writing in lower case.

seasalt101

are you sure you meant amonia not nitrates? amonia if present is toxic to your whole system if it is amonia i would get the fish out asap if that is not possible i would add ammo-lock immediately good luck tobin

weber518

never said i had an amonia problem, just heard that if you put a clam in the tank it helps in case of a spike or an increase, again i am no expert nor do i pretend to be, if i were, i would not ask the questions i do. I simply put him in there to keep him alive until the star fish got ahold of him. Thanks for the responses and hope to hear more opinions about that blue cloud :notsure: thanks again everyone.

reefkprz

The blue cloud was just him spitting out the mud he was in before (probably blue marine clay) theres a ton of it around here. you should have let him purge in a little container before putting him into your tank but no biggie.

weber518

reef,
thanks for the response, you have responded to my posts in the past and you have always been informative, thank you.