Clam moved to side of a rock and is hanging on for life, is this normal?

jim2766

I have had this clam in my tank for over a month, and it has moved itself to the side of the rock it used to be perched on top of. It does have a stronghold to the rock, but my question is:
Is this ok, or normal of clams or should I remove it and reposition it?
My concern is it isnt facing straight up towards the light, but I also do not know the behaviour of clams and am not sure if it positioned itself this way for a reason.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

geoj

It looks like it slid before it had time to attach to the rock. Some times if they are stung or nipped on the bottom they will try to move away from the area. You don't want to pull it off, you may kill it by ripping its insides out. If you can move the rock that is what I would do. You can try and cut the threads that attach to the rock if you can't move the rock. Then replace it where it will open all the way, if it looks like it is reaching up for the light or gapes place it higher up to get more light.

jim2766

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately the clam fell off the rock overnight. I moved him back up top, all seems ok, but the light has not come on yet so I do not know yet for sure. Looks like there might be a small spot where the mantle may have gotten damaged. If so do they repair themselves?
Thanks again.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2766 http:///forum/thread/381790/clam-moved-to-side-of-a-rock-and-is-hanging-on-for-life-is-this-normal#post_3328169
Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately the clam fell off the rock overnight. I moved him back up top, all seems ok, but the light has not come on yet so I do not know yet for sure. Looks like there might be a small spot where the mantle may have gotten damaged. If so do they repair themselves?
Thanks again.
They can take some damage and heal up, I would keep an eye on it till it recovers and if it stops moving then start to check it by waving a shadow over it to make certain its ok...