Clam not doing so well

nds03

I hope the pic post works. I have had it for about a month and it is losing color.... I don't know a lot of the technical terms associated with them but I do know that there are bristle worms in my tank that dont seem to effect my other clams. I have kept the larger one for about three years now, it is still doing fine. I do weekly water changes, phyto...
I read something about doing a freshwater dip so I tried that. I did not seem to do anything. The clam smelled bad when I took it out though. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Noah
http://s954.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_2211.jpg

nds03

How do I get rid of these bristle worms? I will scour the earth to get rid of these things if I have too.

nds03

Are you telling me there is nothing I can do about it. It still reacts to light!!! My other two clams have been in there for years!!!

cranberry

No, the BWs are smelling the impending doom.... they are not the cause of death. The smell thing... sorry, I have NEVER known one to recover from those symptoms.

nds03

What is flatworm exit? I won't put it in my tank but I can make a QT. I just wanna know the best way to remove bristle worms from my tank. Last time I moved the tank I sat ALL the live rock outside for three weeks until all the worms were dead; and now they are back. WTF

nycbob

not much u can do at this point. once a clam shows sign of deterioration, its usually too late.

nds03

I realize that now, but I would like to know how to get the worms out of my tank without putting poison in it. I have other clams (and coral) that I have kept for a very long time and I would like to continue doing so.
Thanks,
Noah

jackri

Thats a funny label "Don't let bristleworms eat your prize specimens"
Bristleworms are safe and beneficial -- but hope it works for your flat worms.

meowzer

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3100148
Thats a funny label "Don't let bristleworms eat your prize specimens"
Bristleworms are safe and beneficial -- but hope it works for your flat worms.
Who has flatworms

I thought this whole thread was about bristleworms irritating a clam

jackri

Sorry I did some skimming and saw flatworm and ran threads into other threads and --- yeah my bad. The only way bristleworms would bother a clam IMO is they are eating dead matter off of it -- and not causing the irritation itself.

jackri

If you really want a good bristleworm treatment, get a cleaner shrimp or coral banded shrimp as they will eat any they can find (preferably not the smallest shrimp out there).
Yeah I'm scatterbrained tonight but just thought of it lol

nds03

I'm starting to wonder... Who here knows what they are talking about and who has no idea what they are talking about. I wouldn't think that any kind of worms were beneficial to my tank; thats why i did not buy worms for it (on purpose)...

nds03

Maybe I should take the clam out of my DT and put it in the sump??? no worms down there and theres plenty of light....

jackri

Bristle worms are very beneficial.. they eat detrius and other left over fish food and contrary to many myths.. they don't harm anything in your tank as they eat dead matter -- which is why I'm thinking is why you think they're bother your clam as they may be eating dead smelly matter off of it.
I have 3 clams, and a frag tank full of bristleworms... I love them and try not to siphon any up during a water change. My main tank area is clear from the shrimp though... frag tank and both sumps have a bunch.

nds03

I would just like to think that there is some way to save it. Half of the money spent in health care is in the last 2 years of peoples lives..........