clam placement

mxer485

I just purchased two new clams and my lfs told me they prefer to be placed in sand but then they are vurnable to bristle worms that could harm them so i should place them in my rock work were they are alittle less vurnable anybody else hear the same thing or has had a problem with placing them in the sand bed any info back will be much appericated thanks everybody

hagfish

I'd leave mine in the sand, but if I did my pistol shrimp would grab it and drag it into some cave possible never to be found again.

reefnut

What kind of clam is it?? Some prefer sand beds and others prefer the rock in nature so the same should be true in a tank.

reefnut

Originally Posted by mxer485
one clam was a maxima and the other was a crocea
Both the Maxima and the Crocea need to be placed on a rock. If your lighting is good enough you can place it on a rock, that is placed on the sand bed. What do you have for lighting?? You may already know this but both the Maxima & the Crocea are VERY light demanding after they reach 3-4 inches... in fact, they are two of the most demanding Tridacna clams available.
btw, LET'S SEE SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mxer485

Right now i have 2x250 MH hqi on my 90 gallon tank so that gives me about 5.5 watts per gallon. Im going to find some new places for them in the rock work today and i will post some picks of the new locations
later today thanks for all the help

reefnut

Sounds good... take care in placing it in the rocks... often they will "jump" around to readjust themselves if they are not happy. During this time before it attaches itself to the rock you want to make sure it doesn't fall and hurt itself or a tank mate.