Clam Question and Lighting?

ds450x

1. I was looking at getting a cleaner clam, do they need special lighting and if what how much? I have a 75 gallon tank.
2. For the fancy clams like the maxima, I guess you do need special lighting? And what do you do to feed them or will they just filter the water?

nycbob

cleaner clam, u dont need light. tridacna clams wil need mh or ho t5 lights, and a mature tank thats be up for at least 6 months.

ds450x

Okay thanks. Are cleaner clams good to have in a tank to help with nitrates? and if so how many would you put in a 75 gallon tank?

nycbob

i hv heard they will remove nitrate by filter feeding. i hv never kept cleaner clams myself. most people dont use them bc they come from colder water and not really all that effective at removing nitrate unless in large quantity. i'd rather add more liverocks and do more water change to reduce nitrate.

jtrzerocool

i put cleaner clams in my tank and they lived about 24 hours...most people have this occur to them...they really arnt suited for the home aquarium...

coral-reefs

Do you have a refugium? I would setup a refugium with some cheto to help reduce the nitrates. If you want you could through a cleaner clam in there.

ds450x

No I dont but im trying to set something up but the stand I have is really short for some reason and I cant fit anything under it.