Clam question.

woody189

So I recently added my 1st clam to my tank.
I have easy corals, and the clam is the 1st difficult thing I've had.
My question is, when can I feel comfortable that I can handle clams and sps? Like is there a time period that once I pass, my clam is good?
For example, a starfish will appear fine for up to a month, but then die because of poor acclimation.
When can I feel confident that I'm capable of getting SPS's? If it seems fine after a few weeks, does that mean I have a suitable environment?? Will it's health immediately decline if it's not happy?

spanko

The real parameters that will help you to feel confident will be of course some maturity to the tank. Anywhere from about 6 months on will be enough time to allow your tank to settle down a bit in chemistry, flora and fauna population and just your own knowledge about what is going on. As you get into the more difficult coral you will find that there are mmore tests you will have to perform. Calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium will be the most important as these coral will use calcium to grow. You may have to go farther than just water changes to keep these levels up. Also you know that you lighting will be improtant to success here too. High PAR (Photosynthetically active radiation) is required to keep the symbiotic algae in these coral healthy and performing their part.

nycbob

u can always start off with 1-2 sps. if ur water parameters r not good, most sps will start to show signs such as bleaching, within a week or two. montis an millipora r considered starter sps.

woody189

Thanks guys.
I really like Montiporas. The colorful ones that grow like a cliff. It's just hard to find cheap frags.