Clams and Hard corals T5 lighting?

dic wood

Can I keep Clams and Hard corals, candy cane etc..
Under T5 lights.
I am setting up a 75gal 48"x18"x21" tall.
I am stuck on what to get for lighting. MH, T5, or MH T5 combo.
Do I need MH?

reefboy1994

i keep zcros, candy canes, sps, and lps under my t5s. i have seen clams that are doin good under t5s but it depends on the quality of your bulb and depth. get some ati or gisemen bulbe- i spelt gisemen wrong

dic wood

If I don't have to spend $800.00 to $1000.00 for the MH and I can keep corals healthy and thriving with the T5s then I will have more $$ to stock the tank.
What is a good brand for MH?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Dic Wood
http:///forum/post/3046622
If I don't have to spend $800.00 to $1000.00 for the MH and I can keep corals healthy and thriving with the T5s then I will some $$ to stock the tank.
What is a good brand for MH?
Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights
Combines metal halide, T-5 actinics, and LED
I have that light on my 225g...I'm really happy with it...BUT it was pricey

Here is a bad cell phone pic of my tank under Nova Extreme Pro T-5s with the stock bulbs. Notice I have a clam and some SPS. I have more SPS frags on the right which you can't see in the photo. Everything is doing well and I'm sure they will only look better once it is time for new (better) bulbs.

dic wood

I'm looking at the 48 inch 4x54W Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture or maybe the 6x54W but the 6 bulb is 15" wide and the tank is 18". Do you think that maybe to wide?
I like the Cool operation and NO noise feature.

fanker

its a great system. i had the 4 bulb over my 55g ur gunna want the 6 bulb so if u upgrade u can still use it, i never had any problem with head of any kind, had a diy fan but it broke in a couple days so i never had a fan, i made my own legs, and i never used the schield, some people say u have to use the splash guard but i never did i just wipped them down down every couple of weeks

wangotango

There is nothing that you cannot keep under a good T5 fixture. If you do go with the TEK buy a clamp-on fan to blow the hot air away from the fixture. It will boost output significantly.
Here are a few lousy pics from my 55 with the Aquactinics TX5. Some of my LPS on the sandbed are still getting too much light.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/357826/tangos-update
-Justin

meowzer

Current USA 30"Sundial T5 High Output Lighting 4X24 WATT
I also have this light on my 29G...It comes with fans already built in, and I really like it too
And it was $208
48" has 4X54w...and is $280

fanker

just if u get inividual reflectors ur good with the t5s, the nova and current dont have true individual reflectors they are one piece bent into individual but i think tek is like that to if i remember but they still work

meowzer

Originally Posted by fanker
http:///forum/post/3047054
just if u get inividual reflectors ur good with the t5s, the nova and current dont have true individual reflectors they are one piece bent into individual but i think tek is like that to if i remember but they still work
SOOOOO...are you really a T-5 expert?
And if so...My Current T5 light that I listed for my 29g...do you think it is good enough for me to house "anything" I want???

nycbob

nova pro is decent, but go for the tek or aquactinic if u can spend more $. t5 or mh, its all about proper placements of corals and inverts.

dic wood

This is tough, I'm going back and forth I can't seem to make a decision.
I hope the rest of this build is easier.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Dic Wood
http:///forum/post/3047221
This is tough, I'm going back and forth I can't seem to make a decision.
I hope the rest of this build is easier.
easier....HAH...Just take your time, read the reviews given, and go from there....

dic wood

Do you think this is any good? found it on the bayyy Auction site
for $439.00 free shipping
Dimensions: 48'' X 12.5'' X 2.25''
Color: Black
Features included:
2 X 150 HQI Metal Halide
2X 54 Watt T5 HO
Moonlights
+ 2 Large bright clusters of Lunar lights (7 – 1 watt leds in each cluster)
2-15k Metal Halide bulb included!
2- 54 watt Super Actinic T5 HO bulbs included!
Unit is cooled by large fans to run extra cool
Unit comes with 2 Chords and 3 switches so you can independently control the metal halide and T5 and LED moonlights separately for the dawn and dusk effect with timers.
Unit comes with modifiable 5'' Tall Leg Brackets to keep safe distance from the water in your aquarium.
Unit also comes with the optional hanging brackets – so if you would like to hang this light from your ceiling you can.
UV shield included over metal halide HQI bulb to prevent harmful UV Rays from entering tank.
All ballast included- Light is plug and play ready to operate upon arrival !