Clams and Linckias?

nick0685

Can I have a blue linchia with my maxima clams. The linckia is about 4 inches and the clams are 3 inches.

it is not known to the scientific community what linkias eat in the wild as of right now, so I don't think that anyone will be able to truly anwser this question

thai

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3015392
dont know much about linkia starfish. but in general, starfish will eat clams.
i have clams in my tank with one red one blue linkia with a harlyquin star fish with no problem.

natclanwy

I have had a blue linkia with my crocea clam for almost a year and the star has never shown any kind of interest in any of the critters in my tank or any foods that I have added to the tank. I assume that they eat microfuana or bacteria off of the live rock and glass since it spends most of time sitting on the rock and glass.

candycane

I don't think linckias should be kept with clams. That's just my opinion though. It may just be based on my experiences; that and the fact that one of their primary food sources is dead or dying mollusks.

natclanwy

Where did you find this info cranberry? Everything I have read about them says that there exact food source is unknown but is thought to be bacterial colonies, all that is known is that whatever they eat is present on LR which is why linkias need large established tanks in order to survive.
I have had a linkia for almost a year and I can tell you my linkia has never shown any kind of interest in anything meaty or in any other type of food for that matter. I would think if they were a detrivore they would be stimulated by the addition of frozen foods being added the tank like all of the other detrivores in my tank.

natclanwy

Yep I was asking you, must have had cranberry on my mind, Sorry about that.
Do you have any documentation to support this? I have spent a fair amount of time researching linkias and have never found any information suggesting that they might feed on dead or dieing molusks.

ophiura

IMO, there is very little risk, they are microbial/surface film/sponge eaters (or thought to be - and general evidence seems to support this) - but you need a large tank with a lot of LR. If you have less than 200lbs of LR in a minimum 150 reef tank, I woould not suggest it.