Clams and Shrimps

knockout

Clams and Shrimps
Does anyone keep Clams and Shrimps together with success, I would like to add 1 or 2 Crocea Clams and I am little concern because some of the shrimps, specially the Skunks, are specialized in stealing food from my corals at feeding time, I don't know if they will bother the clams to death, or maybe the clams just closes on them and splits them in half
I have:
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaners
1 Blood Red Fire
1 Coral Banded
2 Peppermints
Thanks

candycane

All but the peppermints will most likely mess with the clam. And even the peppermints might do it - I myself just trust peppermints more. This does NOT apply to the peppermints, but it's kind of a 70% they will to a 30% they won't. Especially cleaners I have seen hundreds of just "dance" on clam mantles when the lights go out.

jtrzerocool

i have 2 clams...a derasa and a corcea...i also have a coral banded shrimp...i have never had any problems with him picking...

candycane

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
http:///forum/post/2705179
i have 2 clams...a derasa and a corcea...i also have a coral banded shrimp...i have never had any problems with him picking...
They don't usually "pick". What they will do the majority of the time is come out and walk across the mantle at night or even during the day or just stand on it at night. This stresses the clam out after a period of time.

netimreefer

I hate to say it but I had a beautiful maxima that was recently murdered by a skunk cleaner shrimp, it was a healthy but little clam, and the shrimp was about 3" (longer than the clam). I woke up one morning and checked on the tank and saw the clam being voraciously attacked by the shrimp. he had straddled the clam and had about half of the gone by the time that I had caught him. Needles to say I have removed said clam. I will also say that the shrimp do coexist with clams in the tank for like 10 months, with no sign of aggression. So take from this what you will, but I no longer will have anything but peppermint shrimp in my tank!!

knockout

is it possible that the clam had some dead tissue and the shrimp was nipping at that? I know that is how hermits behave, they can smell death coming...

netimreefer

I highly doubt it I paid special attention to the clam it was my favorite, I made sure to feed the clam he was closing up just fine when I fed(the fish) the night before, I personally think that the shrimp messed with the clam again which was a juvenile, until it couldn't take it anymore and the shrimp took advantage!

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2705216
They don't usually "pick". What they will do the majority of the time is come out and walk across the mantle at night or even during the day or just stand on it at night. This stresses the clam out after a period of time.
while the above may be true...i have never expieranced this...like i said before, i have never seen my shrimp pick or even have any interest in my clams...

netimreefer

me neither until that horrible morning, when my shrimp went all raptor on my clam!! Again never thought this would happen, but it did and want to let you know my experience

candycane

http:///forum/post/2705963
while the above may be true...i have never expieranced this...like i said before, i have never seen my shrimp pick or even have any interest in my clams...
Oh they don't do it all the time. They will just start doing it little by little if they do it at all. If you want to, next time your lights go out grab a chair and sit there for about 5 hours - like I have done on countless occasions.
It might just take one molt.
Any of the above shrimp (at 2-3 inches) will just DEMOLISH a 1 inch clam showing that they DO have the appetite for clam mantle. If someone buys a 1 inch clam and puts it in a tank with those shrimp, IT WILL get eaten (I should say 99.99% that it will). NOW, if a 2-3 inch clam gets added the chances are narrowed down to pretty much zero for a period of time. On average, shrimp grow at about 6-10+ times the rate that a clam does. To a 2-3 inch shrimp a 1 inch clam is a meal but they lack the strength at that size to mess with a shell that is roughly the same size they are. To a 5-6 inch shrimp a 2-3 inch clam looks like a meal. Small bird eats small worms big bird grabs entire snakes.
While the smaller shrimp are too small to "attack" a clam that is relatively the same in size, they MIGHT just try to stress it out to the point where its reaction time is slower (EX: The whole walking on the mantle thing). Hermits will do it whenever they feel like it though. Inside of their claw they have a tendon that works like an oil pump. The things have a HUGE amount of power (ever been pinched by one?) PLUS they eat dying or dead organic matter. Like I was saying in another post. A clams byssal threads are constantly being shed in favor of new ones because there is no blood that flows to that area; but it still becomes dead matter. So a hermit will literally go over, lift up a clam and start tearing into the byssal opening to try'en pull the plug and threads out. I don't CARE what kind of hermit it is; I have seen them all do it. They may not even be trying to kill the clam, but none-the-less it stresses it out.
While it seems to be the popular opinion on this thread that shrimp won't mess with clams, how many of the above shrimp ARE NOT relatively the same size as the clam(s)? I would guess they are ALL relatively the same size or smaller then the clams that they reside with. If I am wrong, I have seen several of cases where 6 inch shrimp are kept with 2-3 inch clams. It is just NEVER, EVER the majority for survival of the clam.

nycbob

candycane would know best, since he deals with clams. i hv seen my peppermints killed my derasa b4 when i first got into the hobby. i just assumed back then that the clam was dying.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2706195
Oh they don't do it all the time. They will just start doing it little by little if they do it at all. If you want to, next time your lights go out grab a chair and sit there for about 5 hours - like I have done on countless occasions.
It might just take one molt.
Any of the above shrimp (at 2-3 inches) will just DEMOLISH a 1 inch clam showing that they DO have the appetite for clam mantle. If someone buys a 1 inch clam and puts it in a tank with those shrimp, IT WILL get eaten (I should say 99.99% that it will). NOW, if a 2-3 inch clam gets added the chances are narrowed down to pretty much zero for a period of time. On average, shrimp grow at about 6-10+ times the rate that a clam does. To a 2-3 inch shrimp a 1 inch clam is a meal but they lack the strength at that size to mess with a shell that is roughly the same size they are. To a 5-6 inch shrimp a 2-3 inch clam looks like a meal. Small bird eats small worms big bird grabs entire snakes.
While the smaller shrimp are too small to attack a clam that is relatively the same in size, they MIGHT just try to stress it out to the point where its reaction time is slower (EX: The whole walking on the mantle thing). Hermits will do it whenever they feel like it though. Inside of their claw they have a tendon that works like an oil pump. The things have a HUGE amount of power (ever been pinched by one?) PLUS they eat dying or dead organic matter. Like I was saying in another post. A clams byssal threads are constantly being shed in favor of new ones because there is no blood that flows to that area; but it still becomes dead matter. So a hermit will literally go over, lift up a clam and start tearing into the byssal opening to try'en pull the plug and threads out. I don't CARE what kind of hermit it is; I have seen them all do it. They may not even be trying to kill the clam, but none-the-less it stresses it out.
While it seems to be the popular opinion that shrimp won't mess with clams, how many of the above shrimp ARE NOT relatively the same size as the clam(s)? I would guess they are ALL relatively the same size or smaller then the clams that they reside with. If I am wrong, I have seen several of cases where 6 inch shrimp are kept with 2-3 inch clams. It is just NEVER, EVER the majority for survival of the clam.

my clams are 4+ inches...i have a derasa that is 4-5 inches and a corcea that is 4 inches...my CBS is about 3 inches...i am not trying to argue with you that a shrimp will or will not eat a clam...i know you have very good knowledge on this subject, and it would be stupid for me to fight with you...all i am saying is that it CAN be done...you just need to keep your shrimp well fed...nothing is definate in this hobby...

candycane

http:///forum/post/2706284
my clams are 4+ inches...i have a derasa that is 4-5 inches and a corcea that is 4 inches...my CBS is about 3 inches...i am not trying to argue with you that a shrimp will or will not eat a clam...i know you have very good knowledge on this subject, and it would be stupid for me to fight with you...all i am saying is that it CAN be done...you just need to keep your shrimp well fed...nothing is definate in this hobby...
That's what i'm saying. That most of the time the shrimp are going to average the same size or smaller then what the clams are for the people who haven't had problems. But look how big your CBS has grown and how many times it has molted; I don't even need to ask. As opposed to the fact that most clams average about 1-4 mms a month. I don't argue by the way, LOL. I just talk.

knockout

thanks for all the imput guys... I guess my chances will be much greater if I find an adult Crocea instead of a juvenile. keep it coming...