clams at my LFS..is it just me or..?

drex

was just wondering..does anyone else ever see clams at your LFS that just dont look like the ones online? or that candycane sells on here etc.? everyone i see in my area "mostly croceas" are always tan/brown with a tiny bit of color on the outside..is it the lighting they are under? or what is it? i havent seen one great looking clam..was just curious if anyone else spots this ever...

nygel

the two places i've been have great clams. One had one that was a few hunder years old.... it was the size of a small child.

A

alexmir

They probably do not have them under enought light. put your hands between the clam and the light and see how responsive they are. They are supposed to close immediately.

spiderwoman

There are so many different grades of clams that's amazing. The more ultra coloration or unique pattern they have, the more expensive they are. LFS's buy them cheap no matter what coloration they are.

are you looking at the clams from over head or from the side. Its amazing how differnet they look when you look down on them. The fish stores don't care what they look like as long as they have some clams their happy.

scrombus2

To answer your question, yes, the lighting has a lot to do with the appearance of the clams, not only color rendition, but with proper lighting, the photosynthetic algae in the clams responds differently under different lighting, just like some corals.

iyachtuxivm

Its hit or miss here. Mine came from an lfs with a local breeder great colors I think. Went back a few months later all new ones same breeder looked very drab Crocea just purple, tan and white squas, dark blue maxima, nothing like when I picked up mine.