Clarification on torch coral

stupid_naso

I have read different articles about this coral. Some say they like moderate lighting, some say they should be put in the midway up section of the tank. I have a ten gal with 50/50 JBJ 18W and 15W Coralife 10,000K Bulb. Also about the current, some say they don't like current at all. Some say they thrive with current. Ahhhhhh :( . So confused. Anyway, the coral is midway up at this point, with little current. He opens up, but he opens as big as he does without any light. So can anyone help me with this?
Uh, one more thing. Some articles say that torch can be feed brine shrimp. How??? If not what should I feed him?
Thanks,
stupid_naso

smellsfishy

how long has it been in your tank? I'm certainly no expert, but I recently added a torch to my tank. My understanding is (from reading Borneman) they like a medium amount of flow, not too harsh. I also believe they are very adaptable to different lighting. You may need to try different positions in the tank until you find the one it seems to "like" the best.
As for feeding... I tried to feed it brine...didnt work. Mines just eating out of the water column for now...well..the past 2 weeks anyway. I plan to add zooplankton to the water column for everyones enjoyment...
HTH, and have fun. Hopefully you will get some more replies to help you out.

dustball

I have a torch in my 38 gal. It receives a medium current and it sits mid-level in the tank under 96W of 50/50 pc. It is very happy. I will add DT's to the water every now and then, but I do not directly feed it.

flamingkingofhe

mine is in mild current and 3/4 of the way up it seems to thrive under these conditions as the tentacles have grown at least 2 in. and has 2 new branches + the zooanthelia has turned to a beautiful fluorescent green

stupid_naso

Thanks for the replies, guys. I want to add DTs but I cannot seem to find any LFS that carries it. Anyway, I gave it a little bit more current and I think it likes it. It's still where it was before. Do you guys have pictures? Mine is brown with white/ ivory tip.
stupid_naso