Clean salt off wall

zsqure

Hello all, I am not a newbie, been making the same mistakes for a while now. I have noticed salt spray or an ugly something or other behind my tank on the wall. What can I use to clean this off? Will vinegar/water solution work without damaging the painted surface? Mr clean? Spic n span? Lysol? I will certainly tarp my tank to keep the "stuff " out of my water while I clean.

cranberry

A little off topic.... where is your outlet in relation to the spray?
I ask because I was 2 seconds from loosing the house, instead of just a wall, from fire.
All from a little salt spray.

flower

Originally Posted by zsqure
http:///forum/post/3190171
Hello all, I am not a newbie, been making the same mistakes for a while now. I have noticed salt spray or an ugly something or other behind my tank on the wall. What can I use to clean this off? Will vinegar/water solution work without damaging the painted surface? Mr clean? Spic n span? Lysol? I will certainly tarp my tank to keep the "stuff " out of my water while I clean.

Unless you have some kind of slash you should not have salt creep on the back wall. If that is the case, cure the splash and end the salt creep.
However moisture attracts and traps dust, and does create a nasty look, like what builds on the top of the refrdgerator.
If thats the case...It all really depends on what type of material your wall is. Panel can be cleaned with Murphy soap. Tile cleans up real nice with 409. However even washable paint on drywall can’t be cleaned, but should be repainted about once a year or so. You could try a magic eraser, a Mr. Clean brand sponge. It really is remarkable on what it will clean and is worth a try.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/post/3190174
A little off topic.... where is your outlet in relation to the spray?
I ask because I was 2 seconds from loosing the house, instead of just a wall, from fire.
All from a little salt spray.

You too? https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/370528/wow#post_3190672
We definitely would have been in big trouble....

chrisnif

Off topic, but wanted to share, if you have a used tank or sump or skimmer or whatever with that "saltwater haze" or even coraline buildup you want to remove, Mr. Clean Magic eraser is freaking fantastic and doesn't have a lot of chemicals (read the MSDS) just make sure you rinse with LOTS of water to make sure you dont leave anything behind. I've done this to a few tanks, bright and shiny like new ;)

u mike

are you talking about the wall of your house or the tank walls? Is your tank covered?, I have a glass top on my tank & are only about 12 inches off the wall in the house there is nothing on my walls. give that a try .

tank a holic

covers for me was BAD BAD BAD
when I had glass tops, my salt creep was horrendous and the house wall behind my tank was covered with salt.... and I had low ph issues due to low gas exchange
when I lost the tops everything worked great, I still have salt creep but very little