clean up crew isn't doing the job!

antwon

hi i ordered a clean up crew of about 100 hermit crabs 4 peppermint shrimp and one coral banded shrimp i can't say i my tank is overun with hari algae but i am starting to get worried and the cuc aren't eating any algae has this happened to anyone else?

flower

Your CUC is for a different type of algae. Hermits like brown algae. Coral banded shrimp eats leftover food, not algae that I know of. Peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia and leftover food that gets caught in the rocks.
For hair algae you need a lawnmower blenny, or a pigmy angelfish. A sea hare will mow it down then starve when it’s all gone. The blenny and angelfish can eat other foods once the algae is under control.
Also you most likely have phosphates, are overfeeding or using tap water. One or all of these mentioned will cause hair algae blooms. Address the problem and with regular water changes the HA should go away on it’s own.

meowzer

YUP, wrong kind of cuc.....why no snails? Get some turbos, astrea, and emerald crab, a sally lightfoot.....THEY will eat ha
OH..get rid of 95% of those hermits too

S

saxman

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3275305
YUP, wrong kind of cuc.....why no snails? Get some turbos, astrea, and emerald crab, a sally lightfoot.....THEY will eat ha
OH..get rid of 95% of those hermits too
+1 what size is your setup? IMHO, you should only stock 1 hermit/10 gals, most snails at 1/3 gals until you get a handle on the way your tank runs. mix up the snails, as they all eat different types of algae. as for turbos, i'd go 1/25 gals.

antwon

i have a lot of hermits about 100 and i have a 72 gal i have a lot of different kinds of snails that you mentioned but they only cleaned algae on my outakes of my wet dry and fluval

mrdc

I recently had a lot of hair algae in my overflow box so I bought a big turbo from the LFS. In two weeks, he has mowed it all down. Now I worry he might go hungry!

antwon

actually the same is happening to me some algae is going in to my box but most of my snails already ate it all