Clean up crew recommendations?

ret talbot

Originally Posted by Scotikis
http:///forum/post/2882430
Planning on a subdude tank, probably clowns, angels and Blenny's. Id appreciate some advice.Thanks
Then I would plan a pretty traditional clean-up crew including astrea snails, calcinius hermit crabs (the little reef-compatible ones), cerith snails, nassarius snails, trochus snails, sand sifting starfish, lettuce slugs, emerald crabs, sally lightfoot crabs, and serpent starfish. The critical thing is not to add too many CUC members too fast (this will result in either starvation or the need to feed them--sort of counter intuitive). Add slowly as your system dictates.
Does that help?
Ret

scotikis

"Help" doesn't even to begin to explain your generousity. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience. I appreciate it.

ret talbot

http:///forum/post/2882488
"Help" doesn't even to begin to explain your generousity. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience. I appreciate it.
You are very kind, but I think we all want to help bring as many people into this hobby as successfully as possible. When you have cycled, give us an idea on what the algae situation is before adding CUC. Are you cycling with lights, skimming, filtration?

scotikis

Hey Ret. Here's my rundown. I've got a 140lbs of live rock, 270 lbs of sand, a 'fuge (just planted the calerpa last evening) and a UV. I've had the system running for 15 days. The rock was previously cured and at this point is covered in detritus and some green algae. I was told to leave the UV off at this point, I guess so the beneficial bacteria has a chance to flourish. Here's the readings I got two nights ago:
Ammonia, .25
Nitrite, .05
Nitrates, 2.5
PH, 8.4
I'm using tap water to top off the system almost daily. I have well water out here, not city water.
what'd you think?

florida joe

Think of what your particular needs will be algae clean up or detritus many cleaners will do both but some are specific in their jobs. slow and easy is the only way to go in this hobby

ret talbot

http:///forum/post/2882925
Hey Ret. Here's my rundown. I've got a 140lbs of live rock, 270 lbs of sand, a 'fuge (just planted the calerpa last evening) and a UV. I've had the system running for 15 days. The rock was previously cured and at this point is covered in detritus and some green algae. I was told to leave the UV off at this point, I guess so the beneficial bacteria has a chance to flourish. Here's the readings I got two nights ago:
Ammonia, .25
Nitrite, .05
Nitrates, 2.5
PH, 8.4
I'm using tap water to top off the system almost daily. I have well water out here, not city water.
what'd you think?
This is going to be a GREAT tank!
Once the tank is fully cycled (0/0/0), I'd start with astrea, trochus, cerith snails, and a mess of little reef-compatible hermits (depending on exactly what's going on in the tank at the time in terms of algae). Add half of what you think you'll eventually want in terms of numbers, and then increase in small batches until the tank is being well-maintained. For the sandbed, I'd start with a couple fighting conchs and large nassarius snails. I'd add the sand sifting stars once things have been stable for at least a week or two, but there are those who would never ever put a sand sifting star in their tank. If you do add a sand sifting star, be sure to only add one or two at the start--they starve way too often in tanks, especially new ones (new tanks, that is). You could add the other crabs and the lettuce slugs at that time too. I did not mention a cuc before, but I like a tiger tail as part of my CUC, but others will disagree STRONGLY I'm sure.

What do you intend to house in this tank in terms of grazers? That would affect how "tidy" you want to keep things, IMO.
One other thing, I am an almost dogmatic RO/DI kinda guy. Just for the record...
Let us know when the tank is fully cycled and throw some pics up, and we can talk specific numbers.
Ret

www.SaltwaterSense.com

florida joe

I may be missing something here oh yes the fish exactly what is going to feed this mammoth cleaning crew in your newly started tank

bizzmoneyb

i cannot keep hermits AND snails in my tank. the hermits murder all of the snails. you might have better luck though. IMO go with snails and emeralds and forget the hermits.

ret talbot

Originally Posted by BizzMoneyB
http:///forum/post/2883164
i cannot keep hermits AND snails in my tank. the hermits murder all of the snails. you might have better luck though. IMO go with snails and emeralds and forget the hermits.
lol...I used to be terified of ALL hermits, but after a bunch of research, discussion and trial and error, I have become a big fan of the small Calcinius
spp. crabs. They stay small, and, if not overstocked, they stay focused on cleaning rather than eating snails. There is no doubt that in my mind the larger guys are snail hunters from get-go regardless of stocking.
Ret

www.SaltwaterSense.com

scotikis

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2882943
I may be missing something here oh yes the fish exactly what is going to feed this mammoth cleaning crew in your newly started tank

I plan on having a community tank, although I dont have a specific list compiled @ this point. Since I'll be buying my fish @ the lfs that helped me get this system started, I'm sort of @ the mercy of their inventory. I have a copy of Marine Fishes by Scott Michael as a guide when considering tankmates. I hope it works out.

florida joe

My friend I can almost feel your excitement and exuberance coming through my PC and that is a good thing but if I may give you one small bit of advice that I would give a member of my own family it would be temper your excitement with patients slow and easy in this bobby is not only the best but only way to longevity and fulfillment. And on this point I am confident that I will find none on the boards in disagreement

scotikis

I appreciate that, Joe. Interestingly, I read books all of 2007, slowly purchased all of the hardware throughout this year and finally got the system set up this month. Now, all of the patience that I've displayed to this point are being tested to a degree that I never imagined. It's a challenge for sure. Thanks again for your input, I'll take your advice.