clean up crew yet??

fedukeford

I was going to order a clean up crew for my 125 (its been up around 7-8 weeks) until i checked my levels this morning:
Ammonia .25
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 1.3
PH 8.1
right now theres 3 green chromis and a 6 line wrasse, around 10 turbo snails, and 4 larger hermits
what should i do to get the levels right(10 gallon water change?), or should i just go ahead and order the clean up crew??

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by fedukeford
I was going to order a clean up crew for my 125 (its been up around 7-8 weeks) until i checked my levels this morning:
Ammonia .25
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 1.3
PH 8.1
right now theres 3 green chromis and a 6 line wrasse, around 10 turbo snails, and 4 larger hermits
what should i do to get the levels right(10 gallon water change?), or should i just go ahead and order the clean up crew??
feduke....
now we know were not suppost to get fish until the cycle is done.... lol :hilarious
i have heard of people adding them when the cycle is almost complete. and if u order them from swf then they will get there when ur cycle is almost done

fedukeford

i know.... it had been running for around 5 weeks with just some already cured live rock.... and my parents really wanted to get fish so i gave in.... my mistake, you think a water change might help out a bit to make sure what i have in there now lives??

fedukeford

i also figured that with the rock live rock that i have (90 lbs) it would be able to handel the bioload of a few small fish

ryanhayes9

i know.... it had been running for around 5 weeks with just some already cured live rock.... and my parents really wanted to get fish so i gave in.... my mistake, you think a water change might help out a bit to make sure what i have in there now lives??
dont feel bad especially when he wants to BUY the koran angel himself for it

fedukeford

lol, the only problem with doing somewhat large water changes is, my ro unit sucks, i told my parents we should get one that does AT LEAST 25 gallons per day, but no, we got the one that does 10 gallons per day,because "it should be fine" so im stuck with saving up water for like 3 days just to do like a 20 gallon water change, so mabey ill do like 10% water changes every 3 days??

toan

lol, the only problem with doing somewhat large water changes is, my ro unit sucks, i told my parents we should get one that does AT LEAST 25 gallons per day, but no, we got the one that does 10 gallons per day,because "it should be fine" so im stuck with saving up water for like 3 days just to do like a 20 gallon water change, so mabey ill do like 10% water changes every 3 days??
me and you are in the same boat.. its day 2.. and my 29g still isnt full

dut

Originally Posted by renogaw
clean up crew should be ok to go in

I wouldnt add any clean up crew til you get your ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate to 0.

gatorwpb

I added my cleanup crew about a week before my cycle fully finished and didnt lose a thing. If your snails and hermits are all fine, then you should be ok. They dont add any additional bio load, so they wont prolong the cycle.
If its been up 5 weeks, it should be nearly done I would think. WC will help the fish for sure.

dut

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
I added my cleanup crew about a week before my cycle fully finished and didnt lose a thing. If your snails and hermits are all fine, then you should be ok. They dont add any additional bio load, so they wont prolong the cycle.
If its been up 5 weeks, it should be nearly done I would think. WC will help the fish for sure.

Congrats on your success, but advising someone to add inverts to a tank that hasnt finished cycling is bad advice. The ammonia will and can cause stress to fish more or less inverts which are more sensitive to it.

renogaw

he's already got turbos and hermits going. 5 weeks is a long time, after putting in the LR, for his cycle to still be going.

fedukeford

i think what i'll do is let it sit for 4 days then do 3, 10 gallon water changes over a week or week and a half, and after that if everything looks good ill add a clean up crew, but there may be 1 more problem, the test kits i have are those stupid red sea starter kit thing, so i have no clue how accurate they are...

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by renogaw
he's already got turbos and hermits going. 5 weeks is a long time, after putting in the LR, for his cycle to still be going.
Not to mention 4 fish.

the test kits i have are those stupid red sea starter kit thing, so i have no clue how accurate they are...
There's one problem. Your ammonia is most likely already zero.
I have the Red Sea tests as well, and the ammonia test is pretty much junk. I only use the test kit for nitrates now.
To determine that my cycle had ended, I had to have my LFS confirm that my ammonia was zero, because the Red Sea was difficult to tell and hadnt changed in two weeks.