Clean-up Crew

tangirl

I will be setting up a 150 FO, with 2 tangs , foxface, flame angel, 2 perc. clowns, and MAYBE a royal gramma. What I am wondering is how much is TOO MUCH?(for a clean-up crew) Many of these fish eat algae, so I don't want to remove all of it...??..Will the cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs bother the clowns or harass any other fish. (nip at fins etc...) Any suggestions on those to get and those to avoid?

captained

Nothing in any of the invert packages here (I've ordered one, very pleased) has anything that will bother your fish, except possibly a Cucumber which can release a toxin if it dies. Personally, I stay away from cucs, sea apples and box/cowfish who can all poison your tank.
The cleaner shrimp are great! My foxface "pulls up" to the rock where mine have their station every day for a cleaning.
Your fish will prefer store bought algae sheets (esp. soaked in Zoe first), so I would get lots of snails to eat the hair algae off your rock and glass.

partonks

SNails eat hair algae? I was told only hermits and Sally Lightfoot crabs did. I'm starting to have some hair algae and I have lost some snails, so maybe I could add more as well?

fshhub

yep, turbos and trochus snails are great for algae control, I like trochus better(personally), cause turbos cannot upright themselves if flipped, which does happen, and will drown, trochus won't
AND as far as your clean up crew goes, you can get primarily detrivores
i believe you can even cusomize some kits
HTH
[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: fshhub ]