Clean Up Crew

rudedog40

Look at the Reef Packages on this site. They give you decent recommendations for inverts for your size of tank. Most go with hermits, variety of snails, emarald crabs, sally lightfoot, shrimp, and maybe a sand shifter cucumber. Just don't make the mistake I made and get a good selection of inverts in your tank, then put a fish in that loves to eat them (puffers, wrasees, etc.).

S

sudc

How much live rock do you have and what are you planning on having in the tank?
Most of the online reef packages include things you dont want or need and give you about twice as many snails and hermits as you need.

fishn808

Originally Posted by rudedog40
Just don't make the mistake I made and get a good selection of inverts in your tank, then put a fish in that loves to eat them (puffers, wrasees, etc.).
Don't mean to HJ, but will a linckia starfish be okay to add in the presence of a puffer and a GB Wrasse as you mentioned? TIA

S

sudc

BIGTIME highjack but..... Linkia's need a large, established(at least 1 year)tank with ALOT of live rock(at least 100+lbs). If you don't have all 3 of those, don't even CONSIDER a Linkia starfish.

150 pounds of live rock... i plan on putting percula clowns with a host anenome... some others too but have not decided what yet.

S

sudc

My rule of thumb is to go HALF of what they say on the reef packages so instead of the 125g package, go with the 50-70g version. Imo/Ime, the reef packages have a psychotic amount of hermits and snails, way too many!
Also, i'd only go with just a variety of snails and maybe hermits not all the stars and other junk some packages try to push. At most, maybe a sea cucumber as well but definitely no sand sifting stars, sally lightfoots or even emeralds(i HATE those buggers!!!).

sepulatian

Originally Posted by fishn808
Don't mean to HJ, but will a linckia starfish be okay to add in the presence of a puffer and a GB Wrasse as you mentioned? TIA
The puffer will munch on that star. Linkias are quite sensitive. As mentioned they need 100+lbs of very mature rock. Please start your own thread so we can help

skipperdz

if you want snails i recommend not getting hermits...they are the main cause of death to snails. nassarius snails do the same job has hermits and dont kill your turbos.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by skipperdz
if you want snails i recommend not getting hermits...they are the main cause of death to snails. nassarius snails do the same job has hermits and dont kill your turbos.
I 100% agree
If you do get hermits place them in the sump/fuge or buy lots of shells close the their size and up. They have no problem killing snails to steal their shell. Nasarius snails do the same thing but they will go on the glass as well.

S

sudc

Nassarius don't do the same thing as hermits really. Nassarius will clean sand and occasionaly the glass but rarely if ever will they go on the live rock. They aren't too good at cleaning algae either, much better at cleaning detritus and uneaten food. They are great at that though and i highly recommend them.
I personally don't have any hermits, just astrea's and turbos to clean the rocks and glass and then ceriths, nassarius and conch's to clean the sandbed.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by skipperdz
I've never had a problem with my hermits killing any of my snails.
...Is that unusual?

andy51632

There is one good thing about hermits for the beginning saltwater aquarist or those who seem to not look at their tank much. They have a keen sense for dead or dieing livestock. Not for sure but you would think it would be better for the hermits to eat it then for it to just rot in your tank and kill everything in it.