Cleaner Clam question ???

jeffro63

I'm looking into getting a cleaner crew from saltwaterfish.com and the group I'm looking at comes with 2 cleaner clams.
After looking at the profile for them it says they should go in a refugium. I don't run a refugium, so is it ok to put cleaner clams right in my display tank???
Any help on this would be great.
thanks, Jeff

jeffro63

Thats cool, just put them down on the sand or do they like to sit up on the rocks or do they move around to where they want. Sorry for having to ask so much but I've never had clams before. I've seen them in other tanks and at the lfs and always wanted to get some but never had any.
thanks
Jeff

meowzer

Just drop them on the sand, and you will never see them again...LOL....seriously
They will burrow under the sand....rarely will they come back out unless they die, and then it will obviously just be an empty shell

jeffro63

REALLY what fun is that? I suppose they're not there for fun though are they. I guess they're called cleaners for a reason. Ok I'll believe ya and order the cleaner crew package.
thanks
Jeff

jeffro63

Well I got my cleaner crew from FedEx the other day. The first night clam A buried itself in the sand and I havn't seen it since. Clam B is in a diffrent spot every morning but still on top the sand. Maybe just hasn't found its happy spot yet. I don't know.
Thanks for helping,
Jeff

jmarie

We just got our CUC from SWF today, and had the same questions about the clams, so thanks for asking!

Within about an hour of putting them in the tank they were buried! they were fun to look at for a bit at least! lol
That's a great idea about reusing the shells.