cleaner shrimp antenna

spkdtch

so i just looked in my tank and my cleaner shrimp is hiding in the front corner between some LR and the front glass, sitting low(body almost on the rock) and all of its antennas have been shortened to about an inch each, used to be 3 inches easy
the only new items in the tank are a new flame angel and a javanese damsel(velvet)
i assume its the angel, but none of my 6 pep shrimp or 2 fire shrimp are injured or hiding

flower

Originally Posted by spkdtch
http:///forum/post/3119089
so i just looked in my tank and my cleaner shrimp is hiding in the front corner between some LR and the front glass, sitting low(body almost on the rock) and all of its antennas have been shortened to about an inch each, used to be 3 inches easy
the only new items in the tank are a new flame angel and a javanese damsel(velvet)
i assume its the angel, but none of my 6 pep shrimp or 2 fire shrimp are injured or hiding

Shrimps molt...sometimes you may even think you see a dead body the critters are feeding on...They leave the skin out in the open and hide till the shell hardens.
Damsels are evil little fish...if there are any nippers it would be them. Oh, and the flame angel is in danger from the damsel as well. The damsels will kill everything in the tank until only it remains...as it grows it will bite you as well.

blackjacktang

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3124846

Shrimps molt...sometimes you may even think you see a dead body the critters are feeding on...They leave the skin out in the open and hide till the shell hardens.
Damsels are evil little fish...if there are any nippers it would be them. Oh, and the flame angel is in danger from the damsel as well. The damsels will kill everything in the tank until only it remains...as it grows it will bite you as well.
i had a shrimp. when it molted, i thought i had 2! lol

spkdtch

wasnt a molt, was walking every so many minutes
and now its vanished, so its either behinnd the rock or dead
and the damsel has never caused any trouble to any fish or inverts, not all damsels turn out to be evil, just most do