Cleaner Shrimp Breeding

jtirone

I have a question. I have 2 cleaner shrimp in my tank. Both of these shrimp came from the same tank at the store. I bought them about 2 days apart. After introducing the first one to my tank, She layed eggs that hatched. I found 3-4 live shrimp in my filter. That was 2-3 weeks ago. Right now it looks like both shrimp are full of eggs again.
are these really eggs, will they hatch. How can I get them to hatch, how do I keep them alive?
Any help would be appreciated.

krazzydart

I have shrimp that hatch out about every month..... it winds up being fish food for everyone ..... ..... if you wanted to try and raise them you will need a differant set-up and they only eat photoplankton (or somthing like that) that is why it is hard to raise them....... Good Luck

harris

you can buy little mesh boxes that you can float in your aquarium. If you get the eggs before they hatch and put them in the mesh sauare and float it in your aquarium then chances are they will have a better chance of surviving. then you need to feed them which is sometimes a pain but a few squirts of phytoplankton with a turkey baster should do the trick. Mine always become fish food. Your best bet is to make a shrimp only tank and breed them that way. The square mesh, I have seen for about $4 at a LFS.
Make sure you get phytoplankton without phosphates, or hello alagae!
good luck

jeremy

I have two pepermint shrimp that mate every month.I have never done anything about it intill this week.The eggs hatch and then their are about 200 little shrimp floating around the tank in like a ball formation.They only hatch at night when the lights are off.Its their instinct so they won't become fish food.This time i saved them with a turkey baster.I went and bought some phytoplankton for them to eat.It cost me $7.99 a Quort in liquid form.Thats as far as i got i'll keep you up to date on it. Thanks jeremy(Canada)