Cleaner Shrimp Care

michael r

Hello there,
I'm currently in the process of cycling my aquarium and I afterwards plan to add a cleanup crew.
Apart from the cleanup crew and fish, I would possibly like to add some cleaner shrimp.
Are they difficult to look after and do they have any special requirements?
How many should I put into a 90 gallon aquarium, and at what point after the cycle (after the cleanup crew or after the fish, etc.)?
Thanks,
Michael

1journeyman

You can put a couple. If they are the same species they will probably stay close together.
They are like many other inverts. Drip acclimate, do routine water changes to provide neccessary trace elements they need for molting, don't allow temp. or salinity to flucuate.

michael r

Thanks for the adivce,
So it seems that regularly changing the water and keeping salinity and temp. steady will be fine for them.
I've read that they need addition of some chemicals. Do they? If not, then I assume 5% weekly water changes will replace the need for the addition of chemicals, correct?
Thanks,
Michael
Oh, I almost forgot to ask:
What do I feed them?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Michael R
Thanks for the adivce,
So it seems that regularly changing the water and keeping salinity and temp. steady will be fine for them.
I've read that they need addition of some chemicals. Do they? If not, then I assume 5% weekly water changes will replace the need for the addition of chemicals, correct?
Thanks,
Michael
Oh, I almost forgot to ask:
What do I feed them?
Cleaner shrimp do not require any more care than any other invert. An sg of 1.025-1.026, zero ammonia and nitrite and a nitrate reading of under 10 is fine. They will eat any fish food that you throw in there. They do not need to be target fed.

bigblue69

In your 90 gallons it would be ok to add 2 and they do eat anything you feed them. I feed mine raw shrimp and they go crazy for it, they take it right out of my hand.They are cool

michael r

I think that I would definately like to add a pair of these shrimp to my aquarium, though I have one issue.
You says that nitrates must be kept below 10. Is this absolute? Can they rise a little bit higher, maybe to 20?
I am asking because I have crushed coral, and although there will be some denitrification occuring, happening along with the live rock, I doubt my nitrates will really stay at 10.
This is a FOWLR setup, but of course I intend to add fish that will not touch my shrimp.
Mike

shrimpi

when I first got my cleaner shr. my trates were like 20-25.
They since have gone down to about 5. My shrimp is getting bigger (I think he was a juvi when I got him), molts, and eats like a pig.
Skunk cleaners have alot of personality. He is probably my favorite invert in the tank.( I also have a bld. shrimp, pepp. shrimp, hermies, em.crabs, snails, elec. scallop (is that an invert? lol) and a nudibranch.)

imfsub12

Originally Posted by Michael R
I think that I would definately like to add a pair of these shrimp to my aquarium, though I have one issue.
You says that nitrates must be kept below 10. Is this absolute? Can they rise a little bit higher, maybe to 20?
I am asking because I have crushed coral, and although there will be some denitrification occuring, happening along with the live rock, I doubt my nitrates will really stay at 10.
This is a FOWLR setup, but of course I intend to add fish that will not touch my shrimp.
Mike
i have CC to and my nitrates where up but nothing to worry about now after 2 months they have been 0 for a good while...

yeah i have 5 skunk shrimps in my tank. they have great personality and r fun to watch. ive had them for 4 months now and they eat just about anything. i feed mine mysis shrimp and emerald greens(frozen) and flakes. its not really for them but like i said they eat everything