Cleaner shrimp pulled a ton of junk out of condi???

hefner413

I just got a cleaner shrimp - it has been busily going around doing it's job. But last night, I came in to see it in the middle of my purple Condi. The condi was going NUTS, trying to get the shrimp away, it seemed. But the shrimp was grabbing at the condi's middle and ended up pulling out a big bunch of brown stuff - seemed to be poop. The condi didn't react much more after the shrimp got off, and the shrimp went to town eating all that it had pulled out. I then noted a little later that the condi had one arm feeling around in the middle of it's hole (mouth or butt?). I'm not sure if it was looking for what what gone or what. I didn't get a pic, I was too intrigued by it all. Any ideas what happened? Did the shrimp just eat a bunch of poo?

tx reef

Originally Posted by Hefner413
(mouth or butt?).
Actually, it's both.....
It was most likely eating poo from the anemone. Mine used to do this all the time when I had a BTA.

oceanlover

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Actually, it's both.....
It was most likely eating poo from the anemone. Mine used to do this all the time when I had a BTA.

Gosh I'm glad I am NOT a cleaner shrimp! Yuck, anemone poop! Ranks right up there with icked fish scales.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Actually, it's both.....

I had an anemone (gave it back to the LFS when I realised how difficult they could be - when I first started my tank up)
.. and he used to 'poop' but my cleaner never went near it.
YUK! your cleaner must be hungry or kinda be a little 'off'.
Lol still funny though.

coral keeper

My cleaner shrimp dos the exact same thing, lol, it eats the poo of my anemone. My clown fish runs away from the cleaner shrimp all the time (wonder why lol) Id put my hand in the tank every now and then and the cleaner shrimp would start to clean like crazy!!!!
It kinda tickles when he starts to clean my hand. My cleaner shrimp doesn't starve i feed my cleaner shrimp ever day. Don't know why it eats the poo from the anemone. Maybe he LOVES it! lol

msez2u

OMG..I cant stop laughing at the comments... I'm a GI nurse so I look at butts and guts all day and listen to people talk about stuff that would make most people run away. I come home and what the topic of talk on SWF but anemone poop. Yes thats what the shrimp was eating. I've got an anemone crab that cleans my anemone and I about freaked out the first time I saw my crab comming out of the anemone with all this slimy brown junk on him and within an hr he had it all balled up and was getting rid of it. I didn't know cleaner shrimp would do that as well. I think it's cool tho. Gives you something else to watch in the tank
lol....Puts a whole new meaning to Dirty Jobs.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by MsEz2u
OMG..I cant stop laughing at the comments... I'm a GI nurse so I look at butts and guts all day and listen to people talk about stuff that would make most people run away. I come home and what the topic of talk on SWF but anemone poop. Yes thats what the shrimp was eating. I've got an anemone crab that cleans my anemone and I about freaked out the first time I saw my crab comming out of the anemone with all this slimy brown junk on him and within an hr he had it all balled up and was getting rid of it. I didn't know cleaner shrimp would do that as well. I think it's cool tho. Gives you something else to watch in the tank
lol....Puts a whole new meaning to Dirty Jobs.
lol