Cleaner Shrimp....

dedwards

I bought another skunk cleaner yesterday because my first one died after an hour in my tank (1.5 months ago). I started my drip acclimate and after 20min I dumped 1/2 of the water. I went in after an hour to check on the water level and the shrimp was on its side. I scooped him up and placed him in my tank and he was pretty much already dead. All of my water parameters checked out fine yesterday.
Amm - 0
trites - 0
trates - 15
pH - 8.1
temp 80.5F
This is the second one that I lost from my LFS and I have no idea what is going wrong. All of my other inhabitants are doing great, corals are looking good and growing but for some reason I can't keep a shrimp long enough to survive the acclimation. Any ideas of what I am missing?

sw65galma

Originally posted by DEdwards
I bought another skunk cleaner yesterday because my first one died after an hour in my tank (1.5 months ago). I started my drip acclimate and after 20min I dumped 1/2 of the water. I went in after an hour to check on the water level and the shrimp was on its side. I scooped him up and placed him in my tank and he was pretty much already dead. All of my water parameters checked out fine yesterday.
Amm - 0
trites - 0
trates - 15
pH - 8.1
temp 80.5F
This is the second one that I lost from my LFS and I have no idea what is going wrong. All of my other inhabitants are doing great, corals are looking good and growing but for some reason I can't keep a shrimp long enough to survive the acclimation. Any ideas of what I am missing?

I think you should acclimate the "safer" way...
You are not doing a "drip" acclimation.
Drip Acclimation:
Place bag in tank for 20 mins to warm up.
Empty Bag in 5 gallon container...(you may have to prop up one side if there is not enough water to cover the bottom)
Get an Airline hose and either use a valve or tie a knot in it to produce a small drip.
Whatever the acclimation time is (for example 3hrs, you want the drip to double the amount of water in that time period)
After just dump the bucket into your tank or take the fish out with a net..
For extended drips...i.e Stars, some fish, drips over 2 hrs, I'd say to get a small heater and put it in there..set to the same temp as your display.
but impo, dont use the mehod you are doing now.

dedwards

That is how I am acclimating anything going into my tank. The only difference is that I have to dump some of the water out over the period of time because it will overflow my container.

mn1467

ok what was the bucket size? only reason I ask is that When I acclimated my inverts from this website I did it for 3hrs and I did not have to empty any water I am not saying you are doing it wrong just trying to help you out

dedwards

np...I used a large HOB breeder holder. It's the same type that stores use to hold fish before they bag them.

mn1467

I think that is too small you should use a 5 gallon bucket that is wahat I use and pretty sure that is what most people use just try it and see what happens

sw65galma

Originally posted by MN1467
I think that is too small you should use a 5 gallon bucket that is wahat I use and pretty sure that is what most people use just try it and see what happens

Agreed.
Especially if you want to do a star fish later on and you need to accimate it for 3-6hrs...

6stokes

Agree with the 5 gallon bucket. What's may happening is with that small of a container, you may not be putting enough of the original bag water. Even though your drip seems slow, in that small of a container with less bag water it's bumping everything exponentially. You would have to really slow that drip down.

big slick

Add one more to the list in support of the 5 gallon bucket. As a side question: How many of you are using some form of aeration while acclim? I have been using a small battery powered air stone the size of a ping pong ball that clips to my bucket as the drips enter. Been doing it for a year now, and wondered if I even need to, or if it is doing any good at all?

sw65galma

Originally posted by MN1467
I do that also not sure if it is necessary.

I did until someone mentioned that it could screw around with the PH?

floorguy

I just drip never had any problems yet, just did 2 baby shrimp for 2 hours they are already rideing my baby tang.(in there fo 2 hours) dont empty no water and get a good clean no detergents 5 gal bucket i get mine from my fish store.

K

krustytheclownfish

The pH issue is mainly a concern with animals that have been in a sealed plastic bag for awhile, such as mail order. The water in the bag will accumulate ammonia and other nasties that will lower the pH, such as carbon dioxide. If areation is added, the co2 will be blown off causing the pH to rise rapidly. The rapid rise in pH, while bad in itself, will also make the ammonia more toxic. These issues are probably less important if you buy from a local lfs and get it to your tank soon. Still, I wouldn't use areation. HTH
John