Cleaner Wrasse

bobsingh1

I don't know if I spelled it right but ever since I got it, I have seen no signs of white spot on my fish. This creature will take care of all of it and goes around the tank like crazy. My only concern is what to feed it. I feed mostly shrimp and flakes to other fish but even though, she seems a lot active when I put shrimp in and run after it, it rarely eats it.
Also, if I try to put in cut up veggies for my yellow and blue tang, they don't eat it but they just leap for the shrimp. I know veggies are important part of tang's diet but how to make them eat it ?

clayton

Sorry bob but cleaner wrasse do not survive long in aquariums. There is a strong call to ban the trade of them.
It should take most meaty foods but will probably not live for more than 9 months.

mainejo1

Bobsingh, Clayton is right. Maybe yours will do well with what you feed your other fish but you may want to consider a cleaner shrimp or two instead of a cleaner wrasse. I lost two, each the day after I got them but have four cleaner shrimp that do a great job cleaning my fish, and eat anything I feed the tank. They also eat scallops out of my hands. As far as your tangs, try nori or seaweed sheets you can purchase at a health food store or Japanese market, or possibly lfs. Put it on a veggie clip, and your tangs will love it.

mainejo1

Also, you can buy frozen brine shrimp with spirolina in it that will give your tangs the greens they need while they enjoy shrimp.

clayton

Originally posted by Bobsingh1:
Any particular reason why ? Is it the lifespan or just that they die when contained
in the aquarium ?

Something we don't realy know. They should live for many years (at least 6 years I would imagine but it cuold be much more - I don't know their lifespans), but in aquariums they quickly die.
One idea is that they need the nutrition that they get from many parasites from hundreds of fish, an aquarium just can't provide this.
Another idea is that without a cleaning station that they can set up they go into decline.

tjswanson

Cleaner wrasse don't like to eat prepared foods. But I have noticed somethin w/ them. If you MUST have one, look for one that likes to eat and is always looking for food when someone comes by. If you can find a cleaner wrasse that will eat, it will survive for awhile. I had a cleaner for 6 months. And the one I currently have likes to eat brine and seaweed selects. You just have to find one that will eat. TJ