Cleaners

leigh

Sadly my cleaner shrimp moved on to shrimp heaven this morning. (Not quite sure why, he looked fine and all water params are dandy--I think it's just one of those things--he's been kinda spazy the last couple days so I think perhaps he had a parasite of some sort). Anyhow, while my fish load is low (a 6-line and a purple tang--please don't flame that--it's a rescue project), and I have no signs of ich--my paranoia still leads me to prefer to have some form of cleaner in the tank (especially since I have been nursing the purple tang with hlle back to health). I know cleaner wrasse are out. I already have a fleet of peppermint shrimp (I use them for color and movement in my invert tank and when i got fed up with aptaisia i put half a dozen in my reef as well--no more aptaisia :D ) I know peppermint shrimp are iffy though in their cleaning habits in captivity. So I'm curious as to opinions--should I stick to just the peppermint shrimp and trust them to do the job, get a cleaner/neon goby (and if so are they better off solo, in pairs, or does it matter?), or get another cleaner shrimp?
Thanks for the input!
-leigh

overanalyzer

FWIW I had a flock of peppermints and they never acted like cleaners - ate the snot out of my Aiptasia - but never actually cleaned a fish ....

leigh

Thanks OA--yeah that's what I figured. I've never seen mine actually clean--though I have seen them do that swaying 'i'm ready to clean' motion.
-leigh

bang guy

I'll assume you mean Skunk or Scarlet Cleaner because Peppermints are also "Cleaner Shrimp".
If it were me I would replace the deceased Skunk Cleaner with a pair of Skunk Cleaners. I feel they do a lot better as a pair.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by leigh
Thanks OA--yeah that's what I figured. I've never seen mine actually clean--though I have seen them do that swaying 'i'm ready to clean' motion.
-leigh

yeah mine woupld sway like crazy and scurry away as soon as a fish came near!

leigh

Very interesting. And yes--Guy skunks are what I meant. Is the trend towards skunk cleaners over the cleaner goby because they do a better job? because they don't affect bioload? or something else I'm missing?
thanks for the input!
-leigh

bang guy

Leigh - Cleaner (Neon) Gobies are very short lived, about a year or two. There's no problem with having both. They use up about the same bio-load and neither require a lot of space.
Birdy - If you have two they will breed and produce zooplankton with their offspring. They are also more active and live longer in my experience in multiples.

birdy

Thank you Bang Guy, another question, do you have to know the --- of the cleaners when you buy them, or do they change --- to adapt, I have one right now and would like to get another. I tried to look up info on the net but I couldn't find anything.
Leigh sorry I am not trying to hijack your post.

bang guy

Originally posted by Birdy
Thank you Bang Guy, another question, do you have to know the --- of the cleaners when you buy them, or do they change --- to adapt.

All Lysmata are hermaphrodites (are both sexes at the same time... always). If you have two or more they will mate.