cleaning a used tank?

benter

Just recently bought a used 180 gal, what should i use to clean it with...I was wondering about dish soap??? Or should I just scrub it good with some warm water and steel wool maybe??..Thanks

larrynews

if it is going to be a reef tank make sure that it was never been treated with copper it gets in the seal stays....as far as cleaning not sure...

bobbyzat

I would advise against steel wool could scratch and tear up your seals. If it was treated with copper, I believe you can strip the old seals, and redo it, but I would do more research first.

X

xnikki118x

First of all, congrats on your new purchase! What do you plan on doing with the tank--aggressive fish, a super big reef, large peaceful fish...I'd love to know what your ideas are.
As for the cleaning, it'll be a bit difficult because the tank is so big. Now, when I was a senior in high school I took a science course where you had to maintain a mini-ecosystem throughout the school year. (This is where my friend and I got into saltwater :) ) At the end of the school year when it came time to clean the tanks, under her direction, we'd fill them all up with water and throw a cup or so of bleach in, mix it around, let it sit overnight, then scrub and rinse it really well the next day. It worked for her for the fish tanks as well as the reptiles and amphibians, and she's been teaching that class for over 20 years.
Since your tank is so big, I'd suggest cleaning it outside. Fill it up with a garden hose and pour in a bunch of bleach, then let it sit and scrub and rinse it out thoroughly the next day.
Now the pet store where I work, we also clean our aquariums/terrariums/small animal cages with bleach, but we only fill the tank a few inches from the bottom, add bleach, and scrub it out and rinse well.
Whatever method you use, if you add any kind of cleaning product, just make sure you rinse it out really really well. Hope this helps! :D

benter

thanks guys..I already replaced all the silicone seals , just to be safe , and I plan on moving my 125 reef into this and adding more lr and peaceful fish..I was wondering about the bleach but wasn't sure...Thanks again...

yosemite sam

I would never put chemicals in the tank. I think just hot water, and a glass scraper should do the trick. How long has the tank been empty? Do you know what was in it before?

salty cheese

Originally posted by bigarn
IMO use white vinegar and water..... and rinse well. :D

:yes:
If you replaced the seals I would test them before you fill it up inside the house.

benter

Done tested it ....twice now..wanted to make sure it didn't leak the first time..and it did ..tested it today after replacing the silicone and yea!!! no leaks!! just got through painting the back of it ..and next is the nozzle assembly and associated plumbing:)