Cleaning Acrylic tanks

saltn00b

My reef tank is acrylic, 3/4" thick and it has always been a bit of a battle to keep up with cleaning the panels. I tend to care for more tanks with much more enthusiasm when the viewing panels are clean and free of algae, and they always just look so much better.
Problem with acrylic is that scratches easily, there for products meant for removing coralline algae are not as abrasive as they might be for the glass counterparts, and so less effective.
I have used Mag float magnets, which i found are only effective at removing the first, very soft, layers of algae that accumulate. and then I have some algae scrapers, which are slightly more effective when it gets to the harder browns and eventually the coralline purples. If you neglect a tank for too long, the panel cleaning can be exhausting!
So last weekend i brought some frags into a LFS for some store credit and picked up an Algae Free magnet with the Algae scraper sock / pad. I am not sure of the name of the pad, but they sell for about $5 and last upwards of 4 months. I had let the acrylic get assaulted by all kinds of algae, but i was able to cut right through the all of it! in about ten minutes, I had a front panel that was extremely clean! so in short , i am very happy with this product, it works easily and fast, with minimal effort!