Cleaning Algae

tarhull87

I'm setting my 75g back up and its got alot of dry coralline and algae all over the glass walls. It is difficult to scrape w/ a razor blade and I was wondering if there is any type of solution that eases the process.
Thanks

sawsman

water, razor blade and some elbow grease.
never heard of a liquid that will help other than good ol H2O.
-sawsman

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by tarhull87
I'm setting my 75g back up and its got alot of dry coralline and algae all over the glass walls. It is difficult to scrape w/ a razor blade and I was wondering if there is any type of solution that eases the process.
Thanks
I had brown algae ALL OVER my tank, on the crushed coral, on the walls of the tank, on the rocks etc...
I added 5 snails, they started on the glass and in 2 to 3 days the front of the glass was clean. If you look closely, you could see their tracks. I then purchased 10 more snails but larger ones, and they attacked the back of the tank.
In a few days all the algae on the glass was gone. I moved the snails to a few of the rocks and they went to work there as well but at a much slower pace.
The only drawback is that I have crushed coral on the bottom. It seems they have a hard time moving around on the crushed coral. Sometimes they turn upside down (I dont know how) and cannot turn themselves over so I turn them over myself.
Anthony