Cleaning an unfilled tank safely?

jds61403

I have a 29g tank that i am going to set up but if needs cleaned up before I fill it. I've scrubbed with fresh water, but it still has some film. Any suggestions on what I can safely use? I'm assuming windex, etc. is out of the question. Someone suggested vinegar....
Thanks for your time.

tscuda

HOT water and vinagar. You dont have to be shy with the vinager. I used a gallon to clean my 55 tank. And if you really want to get your moneys worth. Dump the used water in your washing machine and let it sit over nite. Run it the next day like you would be doing a load. That will clean out all the soap scum.

jhawk

If that works please tell me I have done everything to get my 175 clean but nothing worked get ready to pay a man $125.00 to buff out my tank

hot883

You can always use a straight edge razor and scarpe everything off. Just be careful not to cut into the sealant and not your fingers. Ha! But you are right, defiantely no chemicals.

nm reef

Hot water and vinagar for scum....a razor for the heavy build up.....bleach can also be used but allow it to sun dry for several hours afterwords...bleach will disapate under sunlight without leaving trace behind. basically lots of elbow grease depending on how dirty the tank is.

phixer

Originally Posted by tscuda
HOT water and vinagar. You dont have to be shy with the vinager. I used a gallon to clean my 55 tank. And if you really want to get your moneys worth. Dump the used water in your washing machine and let it sit over nite. Run it the next day like you would be doing a load. That will clean out all the soap scum.
Yup works very well. Rinse thoroughly.