Cleaning CPR bakpak?

monalisa

I've got a CPR bakpak skimmer in my reef tank...been there for a few weeks, and I was wondering how often to take it off to clean it? I'm doing a water change and cleaning today, and I'm thinking that my skimmer looks like it could use a cleaning, but I don't want to compromise the function by doing so. Please let me know what you think about this.
Thank you!!
Lisa

flower

I had this skimmer, and I must admit I didn't like it. You really have to watch it to make sure it is working...it may SOUND like it is really going at it, and yet not pulling out a thing. So check the air line that is the usual problem.
That said, don't clean the blue stuff..pull it out and rinse it a little in saltwater by dipping or swishing it around a few times. Clean the skimmer and put the blue stuff back in.

daigle2985

I currently am using this skimmer as well(the dual version) on my 70gal. I'm not to thrilled with it but it does do its job I guess with a little extra work. My cups fill up in 1-2 days I just rinse them out with hot water and kinda clean them with my hands or toothbrush(not mine.....lol, one thats dedicated to cleaning it) and put them back in. If you are running a sump with micro algea or have a large amount of liverock I would just pull out the blue stuff, however it does help a bit with the micro bubbles. I do find that after 3-4 weeks, the cups don't fill as often and then its off to disasemble the pumps/intakes and clean them. One thing I noticed as well, when you take it apart there is a little clear platic piece that the airhose is attached to. When I recieved mine they were pushed in all the way giving it maybe 1/32-1/16" clearance and thats what was clogging all the time on mine, stopping the air from coming in, and therfore stopping the bubbles, rendering the unit useless on a weekly basis. I broke the seal with a twisting pulling motion with a pair of needle nose pliers and replaced it but just barely putting it in the hole enough to be flush with the inside. After I did that I was able to go about a month without seeing any reduction in the bubbles. If you try this and you have any further questions just let me know. .......Now that I think about it, I think CPR uses two differnt powerheads on different models. So this info may or maynot help you.

crypt keeper

mine works great. I replaced the blue crap with bio balls and live rock rubble. I put a sponge filter at the top to trap any micor bubbles. It made my trates drop in half and has kept them steady. The crap this thing pulls out is gross sometimes. Clean it in a bucket of saltwater. You dont want to use freshwater because it will strip out the good bacteria. I just rinse out my bio balls in water I change out.

daigle2985

BIO BAIL!!!!....LOL, that was eating at me that I couldn't figure out the name but then it hit me. That LR rubble idea, with the sponge is a good idea to utilize that space better. I'm not big on bio balls but thats just my opinion, each to his own. Looks like im off to get some rubble and some sponges, great idea, Thanks! Oh and when I said I use hot water....I was just refering to the collection cups, not anything else, those have no biological purpose, just to hold the crap that....well you know, comes out of a protein skimmer. I wonder if I put a little lite on it if i could use a little cheato on top of the rubble, and make a TINY fuge out of it....lol, i'm thinking it would out grow it too quickly and be more of a hassle then what its worth. I dunno has anyone done this with this skimmer before or have any thoughts?

flower

Originally Posted by Daigle2985
http:///forum/post/3003512
BIO BAIL!!!!....LOL, that was eating at me that I couldn't figure out the name but then it hit me. That LR rubble idea, with the sponge is a good idea to utilize that space better. I'm not big on bio balls but thats just my opinion, each to his own. Looks like im off to get some rubble and some sponges, great idea, Thanks! Oh and when I said I use hot water....I was just refering to the collection cups, not anything else, those have no biological purpose, just to hold the crap that....well you know, comes out of a protein skimmer. I wonder if I put a little lite on it if i could use a little cheato on top of the rubble, and make a TINY fuge out of it....lol, i'm thinking it would out grow it too quickly and be more of a hassle then what its worth. I dunno has anyone done this with this skimmer before or have any thoughts?
I thought of it, bit doesn't it need light?

daigle2985

I'm no expert by all means, so this may not be entirly correct but to my understanding you'll still get the biological benefits, and probably some critters, i just don't think you'll get the photosynthetic growth I.E. coralline and such.